Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut vacation

meyeri

PMA Member
I was planning on taking off Oct. 31-Nov. 13th, but with the mid 60's trend forecasted for pretty much all week next week, I'm thinking about pushing my time off to the 5th through the 20th. What are you fellas planning on doing?

Here I go being a downer again, but where are you hunting exactly in Iowa? Most of Southern Iowa expecting near record warmth Friday and again Monday,,upper 70's. Need Camo shorts down there. Hint,, maybe Canadian type airmass end of next week, but that is iffy. My bet wait as long into Nov as you can. It has got to cool off at some point. Possibly?

I'm still sticking to my original time of 2nd week in November. They have to rut sometime, hot or not. I weather does stink here in Iowa lately, we need some cool nights and mornings.Good luck! Happy hunting!

The Rut will happen regardless of the temperature. This time of the year it always seems to be better hunting mornings rather than afternoons. With the warm temperatures mornings should be good, I would much rather have temps in the 30's in the am than 40s or 50s, but the does will get bred nonetheless. Hunt near water sources will be key

The Rut will happen regardless of the temperature. This time of the year it always seems to be better hunting mornings rather than afternoons.
I absolutely agree with this statement. I just like maximizing my hunting days off; which means all day sits if the wind and conditions permit. The young hunter in me, who needs a break from work, is itching to get in the timber, but the conservative hunter is telling me to be patient.

I'll probably take a couple days off in mid-late November. Over the past several years I have seen better rutting activity in the second half of November than I have in the first half. I would venture to say most of the does have been bred by that time and the bucks are working hard to find those last few.

Agree the rub will happen regardless. But I think what we care about is the daylight activity where weather might play more of a factor. If most of the rutting activities happen at night because of cooler night temps then this does us no good. See how I used "I think" and "might" and don't really know? :)

I have most of the first three weeks off in November. I will still take it. I've seen many warm ruts over the years but the rut will go on regardless.

I am taking off Nov 3rd thru the 13th. The biggest buck I have ever got a shot at was on Nov 7th when it was 68 degrees I seen him two days in a row both warm.Unfortunately I shaved some hair off his belly so he got away.

bradley said:
I am taking off Nov 3rd thru the 13th. The biggest buck I have ever got a shot at was on Nov 7th when it was 68 degrees I seen him two days in a row both warm.Unfortunately I shaved some hair off his belly so he got away.

This is all anyone needs to hear! Ya just never know what can happen and when!

This weekend though the 14th would be the days I pick. Bucks will start locking down with does in mid Nov and that can always be tuff hunting.

For what its worth..... my 2 week vacation was to start Monday. I am pushing it to start Thursday. Thankfully, I am fortunate to have that kind of flexibility. Still hunting afternoons everyday anyway.

Started mornings the 24th. Lots of cruising first 2 hrs then dead. My money is now thru the 10th. Here lockdown is pretty close to the time change every year. I usually hunt til noon then head to the farm to work.

Rut still occurs in the warm weather its just their movement is limited so much to the cooler parts of the day. If it was my main hunting time I'd hold off for some colder temps. If your a solunar guy like me days don't start getting well above average until around the 10th of Nov. thru about the 17th.

Just don't look a the 8 to 14 day forecast for the US, Thru the 10th of Nov,,They are usually wrong,,At least hope so..

Due to what I do and my work schedule my vacation days are spread out. I couldn't get away for a full week but I like how it turned out. I have off 3rd-6th, 10th-13th, 17th-20th and 23rd-27th. I know it sounds like a lot of days but it's really just Thursdays and Fridays off with the weekends, which I never work.

Warm weather or not I'm getting excited and just added a day to the beginning and end of my vacation. After today work won't see me till November 16th.

Top Bottom