Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Grassy anywhere??

Anyone know where i can find any decent camo, for grass land? I hunt mostly on the ground, in crp type cover.

I cant find anything that is bow hunting friendly, its all thick waterfowl type clothing.

Look every year and cant find anything i like.

Thanks!

I just got a ghillie suit. I hunt very similar areas and on the ground a lot. A ghillie is about the best type of camo for CRP.

thats prob what ill end up having to do. Id like to get in more open positions, whereas now, im basically stuck tryin to pair up with a little bush or something.

Try Natural Gear, it's not the prettiest camo but it's a light colored brown. I wear it early season turkey hunting when everything is still brown.

I second the ghillie suit option or a cheap leafy mesh type jacket. I made a ghillie suit out of an old vest years back that works great. A vest is nice because it doesn't restrict your range of motion or get in the way of your bow string. I also keep a leafy mesh jacket with me at all times just in case I want to put on a stalk. The perks of the leafy mesh coat is that it's super thin, can be easily packed and the mesh allows what ever camo I have on underneath to add variation in color. I hardly ever use my ghillie vest because it's heavy, super hot and it snags on everything. Those whitetail adrenaline guys get it done wearing all sorts of different patterns though, so I think regular camo works just as well at fooling a whitetail.

I was going to mention the Realtree Max line. My bow and hub blind are Max 1, which might be a little green for CRP grass. Max 1XT on the website looks nice for more brown terrain.

I will second the Natural Gear camo. They are behind the times with technical clothing, but the camo works. I have sat in a fence row that was pretty open with 2 ft high grass on the edges. Had a doe and fawn at 5yds and look right through me. They had no idea I was there till the wind swirled.

I second the ghillie suit option or a cheap leafy mesh type jacket. I made a ghillie suit out of an old vest years back that works great. A vest is nice because it doesn't restrict your range of motion or get in the way of your bow string. I also keep a leafy mesh jacket with me at all times just in case I want to put on a stalk. The perks of the leafy mesh coat is that it's super thin, can be easily packed and the mesh allows what ever camo I have on underneath to add variation in color. I hardly ever use my ghillie vest because it's heavy, super hot and it snags on everything. Those whitetail adrenaline guys get it done wearing all sorts of different patterns though, so I think regular camo works just as well at fooling a whitetail.

What did you use for ghille material? Colors? I was thinking about a ghille suit this year as well, to be a little more mobile, or even for sitting in a brush blind or between hay bales. I've seen some that have the bow hand side upper chest and inside of the sleeve not covered in ghille material so your string doesn't catch on it. I think some people also cut the material short in these areas if their suit has it there.

I will second the Natural Gear camo. They are behind the times with technical clothing, but the camo works. I have sat in a fence row that was pretty open with 2 ft high grass on the edges. Had a doe and fawn at 5yds and look right through me. They had no idea I was there till the wind swirled.

That's doing pretty good right there! I've had fawns that close while on the ground, both in full camo and faded brown coveralls. Does are usually a little more skeptical of me tho.

To the OP, I was also thinking about some sort of mobile blind/stalking shield that you can use to stalk and then set up behind once in position. Plenty of options out there, but not sure which would be best. One I saw recently was a ghille blind. Think it had some sort of frame and then probably mesh with ghille material to make the blind. I've thought about using something like this for walking in to stands. But, will the deer notice a mobile blind/stalking shield and spook like they might with a newly placed pop up blind, even if they don't see or smell you?

StickersNKickers said:
To the OP, I was also thinking about some sort of mobile blind/stalking shield that you can use to stalk and then set up behind once in position. Plenty of options out there, but not sure which would be best. One I saw recently was a ghille blind. Think it had some sort of frame and then probably mesh with ghille material to make the blind. I've thought about using something like this for walking in to stands. But, will the deer notice a mobile blind/stalking shield and spook like they might with a newly placed pop up blind, even if they don't see or smell you?
This is way off topic but I have nothing better to do. I've been hunting a new area that is pasture. Historically when cows are within x yards of me I just leave but not this place. Deer have been walking by these cows as close as 15 yards. So to move around better I'm teetering the line of walking distance behind some cow cutout to sneak around. Lol. Dumb?

StickersNKickers said:
What did you use for ghille material? Colors? I was thinking about a ghille suit this year as well, to be a little more mobile, or even for sitting in a brush blind or between hay bales. I've seen some that have the bow hand side upper chest and inside of the sleeve not covered in ghille material so your string doesn't catch on it. I think some people also cut the material short in these areas if their suit has it there.

I have three red rock 5 piece in desert color. I have shot my view with it on and even with the face mask on with no issues of the string getting caught. However, trimming since of those isn't a bad idea.

I originally had tried making my own ghillie upper but the time it took was ridiculous and it didn't even turn out very good. Money spent was maybe half of just buying the red rock suit. I should just spent the money initially and bought the red rock. First year using it and I like it so far. I've had a couple deer see me move while hunting on the ground in a crp field and none of them ever figured out what I was, just saw something move they didn't like.

?
My home-made one is mostly burlap. The rest is a bulk mesh material I picked up and old BDU camies that I cut up. It's labor intensive though and the burlap takes some time to break in before it looks good. I tied my burlap strips onto the vest instead of sewing it so that saved some time. If I had to do it over I'd probably just buy one since they're fairly reasonable and tie burlap in places.

Thanks for all the ideas, this post exploded over the last couple days!

I guess i havent had terrible luck with what i have been wearing, but think i can improve, and open up to where/how i sit.

Last year i had a young button actually lick the toe of my boot while sitting. Pretty dang cool. Got a video of it til he got right in front of me. I love the eye lash counting opportunities. Haha.

Top Bottom