Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

great thought provoking article on youth and hunting

bwese

Image1.gif

“Too Young?”

By Gene Wensel

I’m starting to see a disturbing trend among hunters trying to involve youngsters in the outdoors as part of a master plan to insure the future of hunting. On the surface, this is presumably a vital aspect in the legacy of our passion. Unfortunately, today’s “too much, too soon” temptations are quickly getting out of control in a society now geared toward skipping steps or avoiding any degree of apprenticeship whatsoever. Please don’t misunderstand me, I am NOT suggesting that we discourage people from getting youngsters into the outdoors. Far be it from me to dampen our legacy spirit, but in reality, the challenge is as simple as learning to walk before we can run.

I met a cowboy in Texas last spring who bragged about his son killing a whitetail buck last fall at age two! TWO?? Yes…. two! That, my friends, is far too young. Let’s break things down into reality. What reasoning skills does one possess at age two? What ethics level has been formed or even considered by someone who cannot yet speak a complete sentence? The kid was possibly still in diapers! Will there be a market for camouflaged diapers in the near future? The “hunter” probably wore pajamas with the feet still attached and gets a lollipop whenever he sleeps dry. He couldn’t sign his own name on a hunting license. He couldn’t even climb the magic ladder into the shooting house because the steps were too far apart. My guess is that he shot the deer with someone else’s rifle, in someone else’s shooting house, over a food plot planted by someone else. Dad locked and loaded, aimed the scope and instructed little Johnny to touch the trigger when everything was lined up. Is this a stunt to be proud of or to brag about? I ask you, did the boy hunt that deer or just shoot it? The deer was probably older than he was!

Several years ago I met a ten year old boy who had already killed his “Big Five” in Africa! That includes elephant, people. I was tempted to ask the kid what he did for work but I left well enough alone. Instead, I asked myself what caliber of gun a person hands a ten year old kid to shoot a 50 year old elephant? What does that boy have to look forward to in his adult life?

I was raised in another generation. I was not allowed to hunt deer until I turned 14 years old. That doesn’t mean I didn’t hunt as a youngster! I was pure hell on rabbits, birds, squirrels and groundhogs when I was a kid. As far as I was concerned, that’s why God made small game. In my generation, most kids started with slingshots, and later were routinely “issued” BB guns. Many a tweety bird fell to my Daisy. I was taught gun safety and right from wrong. I was allowed to hunt small game with a .22 rimfire somewhere around eight years old. My dad, in his infinite wisdom, knew my brother and I weren’t old enough or mature enough to be killing big game but he permitted Barry and me the freedom of roaming our farm for close range woodchucks.

I grew up suburban or rural. Like most kids, I went through all the immature and irresponsible stages of capture, where boys shot toads with rubber bands and paper clips, put lit firecrackers into the mouths of flopping suckers, ran soda straws up the butts of live frogs to inflate them to the size of apples, etc. It was pretty brutal kid stuff, where “boys will be boys“ attitudes prevailed whenever adults were not around. But I knew better than to even think about popping a deer. Eventually I learned outdoor skills like how to trap minnows and small game. I bought a leg hold trap and caught my first muskrat. When I walked up to the poor thing, I didn’t really know what to do next, so I killed him by punching him in the head until he died. The thought of using a club never entered my mind. Sad but true.

The entire woodsmanship venture is being skipped by modern American youth. Early on, either by my dad or through Scouting, I was taught basic outdoor skills; things like how to start a fire, how to dress a rabbit, how to tie knots, how to catch nightcrawlers, how to use a compass, how to sharpen a knife, and how to tie flies even before I owned a fly rod. I eventually learned how to stalk close to catch bull frogs by dangling a colorful trout fly a couple inches in front of their nose. I started as a Cub Scout. Merit badges were something to be proud of because they were earned. Today, the term “boy scout” has taken on a whole new meaning, if you get my drift.

Generations have evolved over the years, often allowing outdoor participants to skip any and all apprenticeship. I recently spoke with a guy whose son just returned from basic training in the Army. Out of 260 men in his entire company, only 22qualified their first day at the rifle range. Less than one in ten knew how to shoot! They had to be taught. The finest fighting forces the world has ever known were once made up of American farm boys raised with firearms. They knew guns and how to use them. They hunted, ate red meat, and understood life and death. They also had what I like to call “heart.” They understood patriotism and realized this thing known as freedom was worth fighting for. I don’t mean to imply that modern American soldiers are no longer good warriors, as technology has filled in many of the gaps, but the simple fact remains that many, if not most, recruits now have to be taught woodsmanship, shooting, and basic survival or outdoor skills. One of the positive aspects of training new recruits who have never shot a gun is the fact they have also never taught themselves poor shooting form or other bad habits. On a related note, I might also add that, if given a choice, I would rather be in the trenches of war with any ten people reading this article than any hundred people attending a PETA convention.

Although many states have minimum age criteria, gun caliber limits and draw weight restrictions for bowhunting, many states do not. I regularly see “hero” pictures of small children posed behind defunct deer, often not even smiling. It makes me wonder. I’ve even seen six year olds “hunting” deer successfully on television shows. Most of the time, Dad appears a lot happier than the kid, who would just as soon be at home watching cartoons or playing a video game. Television hunting celebrities have programmed our youngsters to expect success without really earning it. Many are beyond even wanting to understand. They just want to be put in “a good spot.“ Instant gratification is demonstrated weekly at it’s very worst. In all honesty, many adult hunters themselves have a very difficult time differentiating love from lust, mostly because hunting has sadly turned into an industry.

So, when is a child ready to hunt big game? Notice, I said big game. Not until they are mature enough to understand what real hunting is all about. Not until they know that hunting has responsibilities that include honor and respect. Not until they understand life and death. Not until they realize animals don’t talk and “Shotgun Red” doesn’t really breathe.

Some kids are probably ready for big game sooner than others. I’ve known youngsters who were skillful enough at ten years old, but very few are ripe until sometime after their twelfth birthday. In the old days, young boys would squirm while waiting in anticipation for their fathers and uncles to come home from the hunt, anxious for the day when they too could participate. As the song goes, Davey Crockett “killed a bear when he was only three.” My guess is that the bruin was probably either treed or shot while eating from the Crockett family garden or garbage can.

In summary, I guess what I’m saying is that kids should not be driving until they are mature enough to take the wheel. Nor should they be holding down paid jobs except for basic chores. Nor should they be voting, dating, drinking beer, or running for office. I feel strongly that an outdoor apprenticeship is mandatory before allowing a youngster to hunt big game. Eagerness to learn is an important part of growing up, but doesn’t really count until a lot of questions are answered properly.

I think it’s only natural for every hunter to want their child to grow up to love the outdoors the way we do. But before you hand your daughter or son a tool that can drop a deer, ask yourself if he or she is honestly ready to do so in an honorable and respectful fashion. If, in your heart, you aren’t absolutely sure of the answer, give them more time. Allow them additional opportunities to hunt small game, then maybe a called in gobbler from a blind, or close flying ducks over decoys with a light shotgun. Sooner or later, they will be ready. The first deer season they will be mature enough to participate in will eventually come. Until then, help them to slow down, learn, and enjoy the outdoors for what it really is rather than just allowing them to take from it. After all, hunting is not any sort of race. It is, or at least should be, strictly non-competitive. You’ll know in your heart when your child is ready. And your heart will eventually soar as they grin from ear to ear when you finally say, “See his white belly?”

I couldn't agree more with that article... I just dont believe in spoon feeding deer especially big deer to kids that cant fully appreciate what it means to take such an animal. Some people consider it greedy or jealous if you dont do so but I feel until theyre old enough to legitimately help with the entire process such as scouting, hanging stands, planting food plots, PAYING for all the needed gear that they have no business hunting deer especially trophy hunting. Most kids would be ecstatic to shoot a forkhorn if it wasnt for someone else force feeding the trophy aspect of it and most wont appreciate a forkhorn anymore than they would a booner. Until you've actually spent the time, paid the money, done all the hard work and paid your dues such as was said in the article about the "apprenticeship" you cant fully appreciate what youve accomplished. I dont have any kids of my own but I can imagine everyone just wants the best for their kids but that doesnt mean everything should just be spoon fed to them, that doesnt really teach them anything other than how to show up and pull the trigger. Maybe thats just my opinion because thats how I was raised. My dad was/is a shotgun hunter... He deer hunts a couple days a year and thats it, and thats how he introduced me to it once I was a teenager. Once I was hooked I learned all the rest mostly on my own thru trial and error and a little advice from a bowhunter that lived across the street from me growing up. So I did then and still do now fully appreciate every deer I shoot and I know exactly what it took to make it all happen because Im the one who made it happen.

I'm 23 years old and definitely agree with the article. I started shooting birds and grasshoppers with bb guns when I was young. I shot my first deer when I was 9 with my dad by my side. I rested the gun in a crotch of a tree, not on a shooting pod where all you have to do is pull the trigger. I don't have kids and probably wont for a few years but I am going to make sure that I don't give them everything and make it easy for them to kill big deer early on in their hunting careers (if they want to hunt).

The thing I liked most about the article was when it was talking about the trophy and how a kid wouldn't care if it was a spike or 180 incher. What good does it do to set everything up for the kid and have them pull the trigger on a 150+ buck from 6-10 years old? They learn nothing besides 'this hunting thing is easy'. I could see it go the other way real fast in this situation. If you shoot big deer when you are young I can easily see kids getting burnt out in their teenage years because they aren't still shooting those big deer every year.

I agree with so much in this article. I believe the situation is different for everyone to a different degree. I was fortunate enough to buy a farm last yr. (80 acres)With minimal equipment I was able to start turning this farm into my families own little piece of heavan! (At least that's what my 7 yr old son and I think). So in this process we did alot of work using only an atv and a few attachments. My now 8 yr old son has been with me on 75% of all trips down to the farm (197 miles one way) to either work on plots, hang stands, trim shooting lanes, blinds etc etc. Last yr when we sprayed, burned, frost seeded, fertilized and mowed 4 different 1/4 - 1 acre plots he was there helping every chance he could. I'm sure many of you dad's would agree that we want our children sons or daughters to be successful. Last yr my boy was able to kill a nice mature doe during 2nd season shotgun with a muzzleloader, this after hunting youth season, 5 different sits, early muzzleloader season, 4 different sits, then 1st evening of 2nd shotgun he got his chance and made the best of it. This yr we made a few more improvements as time would allow. With several good bucks on camera over the summer and early fall needless to say he was excited for youth season to come. On the 1st evening of youth season this yr he was able to harvest a 120 in 9pt with his mother and I by his side in the blind with him. We were very proud parents! The next day on our way home he says to me "Wasn't that awesome dad!" With a big ol smile on his face, I said back to him yup it sure was. He says next yr we got to put more fertilizer down and put clover seed down so we don't have so many bare spots in the plot, as i laugh to myself under my breathe. I couldn't have been a more proud father. After all the hard work he put in over the course of the last 2 yrs he was rewarded with a fine animal (Boone and Crockett in his eyes).
So my point is this? At what point do you say "Yup he's ready to shoot a deer and responsible enough in this situation to have control of a loaded muzzleloader". It's a hard decision, I was 16 when I shot my 1st deer with a gun, but I think through his hard work and the amount he has learned at age 8 through the yrs of watching me, I made the right decision. I now have the best buddy a dad could ask for! As well as a kid who no one will have to worry about running the streets as he grows up. JMO

Good article, mainly with respect to the parts about spoon feeding trophy deer to beginners. I know I missed a couple big ones when I first started deer hunting (mid teens) and looking back now, I'm somewhat glad I missed. Had I started off my hunting with a few easy big bucks I guarantee you I wouldn't have nearly the appreciation for them that I do now. As for setting ages on kids and when they should be able to start hunting...that's painting with a pretty broad brush. Every kid is different and requires different treatment. I just started taking my oldest daughter (she's 7) out this year in an attempt to harvest the first deer that gives her a good shot. I'm completely confident that she understands what she is doing and she understands the concept of killing a deer. Now, my youngest boy (currently 4) may be a different story with respect to when he gets to hunt deer. Right now, he's a little fireball that needs to learn a lot before shooting a deer becomes an option. He has proven himself to be careful with a bb gun, so that is something. But each child is completely different and maturity levels can vary so much it's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I was just about to start a thread on my 8 old sons first deer from last night when I read this article and while I think it makes some good points, especially about spoon feeding kids trophies, I think it paints kids hunting with a pretty broad brush. My boy worked for that deer, range time, many youth and early muzzy sits with out a good shot opportunity and then getting it done last night in the cold from the ground without a blind on a doe at 40 yards.

Also, as much as I would love to do more small game hunting with them that's not much of an option these days. Besides lack of time. Any private ground I know and can get on has people, including me, deer hunting it and the fact of the matter is permission is not going to be given to squirrel hunt. I see more deer on public land then I do small game. Also, a lot of us don't live in an area where turning your kid loose with a .22 or even a BB gun is an option as much as I wish it was.

Every kid is different, times are also different, the point is having quality times with your kids and teaching them to hunt in a safe and respectful way.

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
......But each child is completely different and maturity levels can vary so much (it) is ridiculous.

...and the challenge is trying to explain to the younger fireball why he isn't allowed to carry a gun at the same age his older brother started carrying. He's just not ready to responsibly handle a firearm... and I'm not ready for a slug in my backside.

The article brought back memories of an old "little trigger pullers" thread. ;)

Neither of my boys took up hunting, so I didn't have to worry about "are they old enough".

Not to hijack thread. But please read my post under my son's thread "my Halloween buck" . I feel too many youngsters are just trigger pullers. But that does not have to be the case.

Having relooked at my post above it could be misread as disagreeing with the original article. I actually agree the article is a good thought provoking article. It is just a topic that is tough to be able to make a definitive statement of exactly when kids are ready to hunt and what age is right or what "dues they should pay"/apprenticeship they should take before taking small or big game. Bottom line for all of is that unless the law states a minimum age then it is subjective and each of us have to hopefully make thoughtful decisions on when our kid is ready. With the dedication and thoughtfulness of most people on this site I am willing to bet the age differs considerable based on the maturity of the kid but in the end most of this crowd makes a good decision on when the time is right.

I really like this article by Gene and in the main, I agree wholeheartedly with it. I can remember taking my boys hunting when they were young and small enough that I carried them into the turkey woods on my shoulders. But, they were along for the ride, spending time with Dad, watching, later calling, but not manning the guns. They went with me for a few years and then they were issued a pocket knife to carry "just in case". :D

Later, they worked their way up to carrying an unloaded BB gun, then a loaded BB gun, etc. Later, squirrels with a .22, etc. and then somewhere around age 11-12, they were allowed to shoot a slug at a deer. Prior to that though, they were obligated to help Dad mow, cut shooting lanes, etc. really any simple task that caused to understand they had to put some input into the equation and not just be the trigger man.

I guess what I am saying is that there is PLENTY of ways to get your kids involved with hunting without having them be the trigger puller when they are still in pre-school. Focus on getting them involved in the process and/or just allow them to go with you without the focus on the young kids shooting big game. There is plenty of time for them to step up to actually taking the big game.

Later, they worked their way up to carrying an unloaded BB gun, then a loaded BB gun,

One of my lifelong hunting buddy's dad allowed him the BB gun when he was 6. He's 45 now and taken more big bucks with bow and gun than I can count, but by far his most memorable kill was the rooster that his dad whiffed and he got it, on the fly with the BB gun. If that isn't the best day of your life at 6 years old I don't know what is!

One of my lifelong hunting buddy's dad allowed him the BB gun when he was 6. He's 45 now and taken more big bucks with bow and gun than I can count, but by far his most memorable kill was the rooster that his dad whiffed and he got it, on the fly with the BB gun. If that isn't the best day of your life at 6 years old I don't know what is!

Ha! I believe it! As a former BB gun marksman myself...although these memories are over 40 years old now, using my trusty Crosman pellet rifle, I killed a Bobwhite Quail and a mourning dove...wait for it...IN FLIGHT! I also put a sneak on a small flock of mallards sitting on a small creek and shot a drake in the head and they never knew I was there until the shot. This does not count many squirrels and rabbits along the way. We learned how to do deer drives by first doing bunny drives years before we ever thought about deer hunting.

Confession time...the quail was the result of a "flock shot" off of a covey rise...pure blind luck!! :D But the dove was the result of deliberately aiming at a bird in flight...but I still got lucky and you'll notice that I have not listed the zillions of misses that I accumulated along the way! :D I can still see the pellets in flight in my minds eye as they traveled to that dove and that duck. Good times!

I couldn't wait to get to gmpa's house when I was younger so I could shoot his pellet gun. I shot many a song bird and black bird with that thing and would pile up my harvests. What I remember most though is the time I shot my first squirrel. It fell from a tree onto a wood bench. I shot it through the eye and there was blood EVERYWHERE. I remember feeling really sad and to this day, I ONLY thing I like about a lot of blood is a easy to follow trail. Not like a squeamish from blood thing, it's a sympathy/respect thing

...the dove was the result of deliberately aiming at a bird in flight... Good times!
Nice!
I grew up in town and dad put the kabosh on a BB gun.....so I grew up packing a slingshot.(OK it was one of those wrist rockets with the 12'' extension out the front...truthfully more knock down power than a BB gun) Total harvest included a squirrel, a couple rabbits, a possum, and several chipmunks. Mom paid 25 cents per chipmunk cause there were hundreds of them and they tore up her flower beds. Think I cleared close to 15 dollars one summer. Cha Ching!

Last edited:
Top Bottom