Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer heart recipes

I boil mine for 2-3 hours . Slice thin , flour , egg, flour again and pan fry till crisp. Got a fresh one in the fridge to cook tonight as a matter of fact.

I haven't ever tried heart- however its one of my friends favorite so I always save mine for him. They core out the heart- fill it with stuffing and bake it in the oven. he says it just melts in your mouth tender- I have always just taken his word on that

I've sliced it thin, covered it in bbq sauce and baked in the oven at 350° for 45 minutes. Also have put them in the pressure cooker to make sure it isn't tough.

Not sure how mom made it but it was in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup and some other goodies. Made the best sandwiches for lunch on Sunday of shotgun season. Might have to go back to saving a couple as it was a favorite of mine.

I haven't ever tried heart- however its one of my friends favorite so I always save mine for him. They core out the heart- fill it with stuffing and bake it in the oven. he says it just melts in your mouth tender- I have always just taken his word on that

You should get the exact recipe from him as that sounds good.

Old boy that I used to hunt with in my early 20's would slice em thin flour and fry them the night of the kill. We always did a little celebrating first then fry the heart and a few steaks in a skillet and butter. Haven't done it in 10 plus years but it was always a hit with the crew. But after a few cocktails everything tastes better.
Would try the stuffed heart recipe if you come up with it.

Last edited:
Try this. Marinate in a brine of your choice for 4 to 5 hours. Remove and slice into 1/4 strips and lightly season with your favorite rub. Carefully lay out the pieces on a hickory shingle and smoke for at least 1 hour or until meat reaches 155 degrees. Remove from smoker then place the meat in the garbage disposal and eat the shingle.

Well son of a gun I wish I had about 5 more hearts!! These all sound awesome!!
Ended up just doing the old slice it thin butter the pan seasoning salt pepper garlic powder parsley on both sides

Moose hunter you must not be to big of a heart fan haha

Well son of a gun I wish I had about 5 more hearts!! These all sound awesome!! Ended up just doing the old slice it thin butter the pan seasoning salt pepper garlic powder parsley on both sides Moose hunter you must not be to big of a heart fan haha

I know where there's one laying if your not afraid to fight a few coyotes or buzzards for it.

Try this. Marinate in a brine of your choice for 4 to 5 hours. Remove and slice into 1/4 strips and lightly season with your favorite rub. Carefully lay out the pieces on a hickory shingle and smoke for at least 1 hour or until meat reaches 155 degrees. Remove from smoker then place the meat in the garbage disposal and eat the shingle.

Do you Eat it with a side of licking windows?

I thought my cousin was demented for talking about wanting pickled deer heart's. I guess he's not so crazy as it seems there is a group of you heart eating individuals. Lmfao!

I can't imagine how tough the endocardium, pericardium, valves and the little fibers/muscles that hold them open and closed would be.

I liked the idea of hollowing it out, stuffing it and baking it then throwing away the heart and eating the stuffing.

Heart is the best! Frying one right now in butter and Jiffy mix.

Right on! I would guess that the non eaters have never tried it? Wife had never eaten any wild game when we first dated. Brought home 4 freshies from slug hunting and told her to cut up and fry in some butter while I showered. Can imagine after she asked what's that? And after my response she said I'm not eating that! And me being sarcastic telling her she can find her own dinner then. Honest truth, after 1 bite her exact words were CAN YOU GET MORE?

I can't imagine how tough the endocardium, pericardium, valves and the little fibers/muscles that hold them open and closed would be.

I liked the idea of hollowing it out, stuffing it and baking it then throwing away the heart and eating the stuffing.

Not at all, I usually don't even trim out the valves and top stuff. It's all good.

When we used to shoot alot of pheasants and ducks, we would store the hearts seperate, for a big year end meal.

Top Bottom