Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT MY LAND AS NR EVERY YEAR!!!”

Skip,

End of Rant????? Please do not ever stop your rants. I actually learn a lot from your rants and then share that information with my WI buddies who think I have it made since I packed my bags and moved from WI to IA. They think there are booners behind every tree and that Iowans are spoiled. I tell them Wisconsin could be 10x BETTER than Iowa because of all of the habitat it has compared to Iowa. I then suggested start with one thing and fight to have gun season replicate Iowas….have it in December. When I say that , their immediate replied “ You can’t change tradition!!!” This mentality is why I left. Rant on Skip…rant on!!!
Thirty five years ago I thought Iowa must have different northern deer genes. Now I think MO could be king if they would move the season to December. The number of almost Booners we have is amazing until gun season opens on the 10th of November right in the hard core rut. Most of what you see on camera never makes it back home.
You can’t food plot and habitat enough to over come the rut. Deer are gonna run. Food is not on their mind.
MO just had a record kill and they want it to keep going up. Some areas have a lot deer, central MO mainly. NW MO has never recovered from pre 2012 EHD numbers.
I had never went but they said Missouri’s Deer Classic used to be in a dirt floor sheep type barn. All of the dust would cover all the mounts. Why bring this up? Good example of how far behind IA we have always been when it comes to recognizing what a wonderful resource we have.

At the very least you need to have a license, not a tag if party hunting, for the deer you shoot. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be, but have since learned I was wrong. I know a lot of people abuse this and it sucks. Nothing to stop shotgun groups for strategizing where half the group gets buck tags for first season and the other half second. Thus hurting access even more. This loophole needs fixed.
You can only hunt one regular gun season regardless if you have an antlerless or anysex tag. Example i cant get an anterless tag for Gun 1 and then an anysex tag for Gun 2. The only way you can hunt both regular gun seasons is with a Landowner tag.

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is guys are buying a doe tag for the shotgun seasons, and hunting in parties with other guys with buck tags where anybody in the group can shoot bucks as long as the group still has buck tags. What I proposed was if your tag is just a doe tag for that season then no shooting bucks even if you are party hunting. It would be very difficult to enforce, but I believe that is how it should be.
What makes a difference if hunter 1 shoots a buck or hunter 2 shoots a buck? if a group has 4 buck tags and they fill all 4 what difference does it make? It would be up to the group to decide if they fill their own buck tags or let anyone fill them. Partying hunting has been around since the creation of deer seasons in Iowa, Long before we had QDMA or trophy management and look at all the monster bucks that were shot in the good ol days before everyone became a deer fag and started managing for big bucks and preaching that is the only way and they should ban any method they dont agree with. Cracks me up

What makes a difference if hunter 1 shoots a buck or hunter 2 shoots a buck? if a group has 4 buck tags and they fill all 4 what difference does it make? It would be up to the group to decide if they fill their own buck tags or let anyone fill them. Partying hunting has been around since the creation of deer seasons in Iowa, Long before we had QDMA or trophy management and look at all the monster bucks that were shot in the good ol days before everyone became a deer fag and started managing for big bucks and preaching that is the only way and they should ban any method they dont agree with. Cracks me up
I think the difference is the group would be less likely to fill all 4 buck tags if the whole group wasn't able to help fill them. I'm not saying it needs changed but that's the obvious argument.

Bingo.

There's an awful lot of moral policing on what other people shoot that's totally in line with regulations that have been in place for decades. It will never get old seeing guys that are politically "we need to get the government out of our life" go full throated "we need the government to step in to keep the boogeyman neighbor/non-resident/amish from killing a 2 year old deer I had on camera once."

For every imagined non-resident that kills 5 bucks every year on party tags, I'm sure there's 100 paying full freight on a $400 doe tag to hang out with their family. This is a totally imagined problem with zero data to support it other than "I heard about this guy that does this." If there's a law being broken, it should be investigated and prosecuted.

The Iowa DNR gave out dozens of governor's tags every year to the TV guys to promote Iowa deer hunting and nobody cared. The muzzleloader season in early October does way more damage than anything in January. The horse has been out of the barn for a while and the fact that people think ending party hunting is going to fix it is total nonsense. The golden days you yearn for happened when the deer population was 20% of what it is now and party hunting was a thing.

And funny enough, those evil non-residents bought up everything that wasn't getting developed around DSM and moved there and made videos about how great Iowa is shooting 3 Booners a year on their manicured deer farms with zero pressure and year round feeding.

Iowa used to be shotgun and muzzle loader only....long before muzzleloaders became as accurate as center fires. Missouri has never allowed party tags and I am glad, because many people down here would fill every tag they could. Filling tags with a 7 mag at 400 yards would be a lot easier than with a shotgun.

I think the difference is the group would be less likely to fill all 4 buck tags if the whole group wasn't able to help fill them. I'm not saying it needs changed but that's the obvious argument.
Why does everyone assume EVERY anysex tag is used only on bucks? Lot of people that party hunt are hunting for deer meat, not trophies. I think some people get QDM mixed up with Trophy Deer Management?

Why does everyone assume EVERY anysex tag is used only on bucks? Lot of people that party hunt are hunting for deer meat, not trophies. I think some people get QDM mixed up with Trophy Deer Management?
Yes I believe you are right. Generally on the last afternoon of the last day of the group hunt some not all of the hunters are willing to offer up their buck tag to tag a doe.

I can't say I have ever seen a buck tag on the leg of a doe on a sat morning on the opener...

Kinda tells me we all would like tag a big mature buck weather a "meat hunter" or "trophy hunter".....

All I am saying is that if a person is shooting a buck they should need to have a buck tag for that season. Just my opinion.

Prior to the implementation of “antlerless quotas”, that’s the way it was. You either hunted shotgun or late muzzy with an anysex. You had to choose.

I think the only places you would be able to hunt both shotgun and late muzzy are counties with antlerless quotas. I know that you can’t buy an antlerless tag for Page county and “party” hunt in another county. The “license” with the tag specifies what county you’re good in. A property that we hunt straddles the county line so I just get 2 tags so there are no questions about which county I was in.

A lot of good points on all of this stuff. A lot of variety of opinions. Which is GREAT. It’s also the reality…. No one is gonna agree on 100% of things.
& there’s fine details that need to be discussed by the very hunters that understand the system & realities first hand. Our decisions, lacking those details, have previously come from politicians & special interests with almost no understanding of these things.
There’s the change I believe we need to see & what is happening now…. Regulations & the debate of the issues needs to be had by the serious, experienced & educated hunters!!! One thing we all agree on: we want hunting to be better. We want a balanced herd & TRUE opportunities for all hunters. We want better quality overall. We don’t want every easy button.
MOST of us would say that hunting has some PROBLEMS right now. For access, quality, the trend of where it’s gone for 10-20 years. Special interests, “kill all the deer”. On & on. Here’s the KEY…. The fact that we all realize there’s issues to be fixed & things that need to be DEFENDED is a great thing & a massive change as a movement.

Nothing in hunting stays constant. The way things play out changes over time. Does party hunting bring some problems? Sure. What are the solutions? ???? Why we are discussing. Have the weapons & seasons become far more lethal and longer recently? Absolutely. Solutions???? Why we are discussing. Any other current issue- this is great we are discussing. BUT!!!! We all must unite on ONE basic issue: NO MORE SEASONS, NO MORE WEAPONS, NO MORE TAGS FOR THIS OR THAT GROUP, NO TO THE SPECIAL INTERESTS!!!!! Beyond that…. The pendulum has swung far too liberally for regs in last 1-15 years. Where can we dial things back a bit??? Easy ones….. Media/Celebrity tags, getting rid of Shed Buck Rifle Season. Then _________ ????

Top Bottom