Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Game feeders

tall@wide

PMA Member
I'm thinking about putting some supplemental feed out for the deer this year from now thru August. What feeders do you recommend for this? Feeders that keep the racoons out and secure well to the ground. Are the boss buck feeders designed to keep racoons out, or can they climb up the legs?

Been on a lot of farms with feeders…
Texas wildlife supply are pry best I’ve seen on farms in the mid range budget.
Vail would be the premo- end-all-be-all if $ wasn’t an issue.
Seen some all seasons- they rusted out pretty fast. Dunno on the lower costs ones.

I think mines a Moultrie. Plastic tub with metal legs. Weatherproof and holds 200lbs I think. It’s held up great for 6+ yrs now and was a clearance buy for less than $100. Battery holds up well too. I think I’ve had to buy 1 replacement in that time.

I have a Banks like posted above and a Boss Buck. My Banks is superior to my Boss Buck in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a couple All Season 2500lb. bulk feeders in Kansas and they work pretty well. I also have a couple redneck 500lb feeders that are decent, but get chewed on because the tubs are plastic.
I would go all steel construction if you plan to have it a while.

That's a pretty bold statement considering you don't even know me. I'd quit hunting before I hunted over a bait pile.
It was a general statement not pointed at you. The more that feeders pop up in Iowa the more common it will be and then it will transition into hunting over bait. Texas/Kansas.........If you travel Kansas you will see feeders everywhere. What Outfitters do is lease worthless pasture ground and put a feeder in the middle pulling deer from neighbors. In my mind supplemental feeding is the path to baiting. Go to the 1:20:45 part of this video and listen to Ray.....this is exactly how it will look.

Path way to baiting and hunting over bait. Just a matter of time.
I'm not real worried about hunting over bait becoming legal in Iowa. That seems unlikely to me. What I have grown concerned about recently is a new trend of baiting or feeding as a way to keep deer from wandering off your property during season. Obviously this is going to create a confusing situation of how far away from the bait is legal.
I could see that snowball into a situation where everybody's got to start feeding just to keep deer around or they'll all congregate to the few who are doing it. I would like to see the dnr put a stop to all in season feeding before this becomes a widespread tactic.

I'm not real worried about hunting over bait becoming legal in Iowa. That seems unlikely to me. What I have grown concerned about recently is a new trend of baiting or feeding as a way to keep deer from wandering off your property during season. Obviously this is going to create a confusing situation of how far away from the bait is legal.
I could see that snowball into a situation where everybody's got to start feeding just to keep deer around or they'll all congregate to the few who are doing it. I would like to see the dnr put a stop to all in season feeding before this becomes a widespread tactic.
I believe there is a bill introduced this year that would stop all in season feeding. I would strongly support this and hope it passes.

100% need an in season feeding ban. That removes any Grey area

100% need an in season feeding ban. That removes any Grey area
A huge can of worms that could also include food plots and could actually create more grey areas. What pulls and holds deer more than a unpicked corn plot, previously fenced in waiting for late season? How unfair is that? If a guy is feeding and not hunting the property with the pointed pile of feed vs a hunter in a heated blind, with a nearly high powered rifle, over an unpicked corn plot with mowed shooting paths...what is worse? A huge HOT domino effect that's better shot down. My 2.

A huge can of worms that could also include food plots and could actually create more grey areas. What pulls and holds deer more than a unpicked corn plot, previously fenced in waiting for late season? How unfair is that? If a guy is feeding and not hunting the property with the pointed pile of feed vs a hunter in a heated blind, with a nearly high powered rifle, over an unpicked corn plot with mowed shooting paths...what is worse? A huge HOT domino effect that's better shot down. My 2.
I agree. A lot of bucks get shot this way late season with guns. Since it is already legal, I doubt they will reverse it and make it illegal. I wish they would, but I don't see it happening. The no bait at all during the hunting season is a real possibility though.

Reactions: OMB
Since it is already legal, I doubt they will reverse it and make it illegal. I wish they would, but I don't see it happening. The no bait at all during the hunting season is a real possibility though.
Feeding is already legal during season if you're not hunting the property...why wouldn't you doubt that they would reverse that? Whether anyone wants to admit it, food plotting is a form of baiting, not as pointed but baiting for sure! I get what everyone is saying and in the perfect world i'd say I'm with you. It's not a perfect nor fair world and if you like your food plots without a bunch of regulations and grey areas, I wouldn't be hopping on that bandwagon...you may get what you're supporting.

Removing all bait/feeding from Sept 1 thru the end of the season would be the best way to manage this going forward. Hunting over bait is one of the most common poaching issues I see. It always amazes me to see how brazen some people are with it. With all the CWD concerns I am surprised they allow it at all.
It is crazy to me that the 2023 deer harvest was less than half it was in the 2005 season and there are no changes to reduce harvest at all. The part that worry’s me is we still have the exact same Quail/Pheasant season and limits as we did at the peak of population 25 years ago

Feeding is already legal during season if you're not hunting the property...why wouldn't you doubt that they would reverse that? Whether anyone wants to admit it, food plotting is a form of baiting, not as pointed but baiting for sure! I get what everyone is saying and in the perfect world i'd say I'm with you. It's not a perfect nor fair world and if you like your food plots without a bunch of regulations and grey areas, I wouldn't be hopping on that bandwagon...you may get what you're supporting.
One step at a time. Let's stop all baiting during the hunting season (whether hunting near it or not) and then look into the corn fields that are being mowed down.

Removing all bait/feeding from Sept 1 thru the end of the season would be the best way to manage this going forward. Hunting over bait is one of the most common poaching issues I see. It always amazes me to see how brazen some people are with it. With all the CWD concerns I am surprised they allow it at all.
Bait/feeding throws off the vibe that they are one in the same...they are not. I really hate going against you guys on this...do you really think a poacher will change his ways because of a no feeding law? Did a gun ban stop the killing in Chicago??

Top Bottom