Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

05' IA archery buck (lots of pics)

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
JORDAN BOW BUCK -- NOV 5 -- 9 AM

This past season was a tough one, I was in college but did make it back for 5 weekends of bowhunting and 1 weekend for the shotgun season! The bowseason was a great one, passed up TONS of little bucks and young deer just waiting for a nice doe or 4.5 year old buck or older. Well on Nov. 4th that afternoon my dad hunted a stand we really like to hunt during the rut, he had seen some activity a little ways off the whole afternoon, he said it looked like a buck chasing some does. So who wouldn't go try that spot the next day, this was a spot I have always wanted to sit at but never had the nerve to make the walk back there in the morning since it is a morning spot.

Nov. 5 in the AM -
I studied the arial map the whole night so I could walk right to this tree I had picked our for turkey hunting and seen shed hunting. It was 2 HUGE trees right along the edge of a CRP field and timber. The whole summer I had thought about how people could turkey hunt and just sit by a tree and get away with it and why couldn't I do that for deer so the whole season I just would go to a spot I liked, pick out a big tree and stand by it....so I stood by these two big tree and had my outline broken up.

On the walk in I still managed to get confused as far as where I was exactly going so I just sat in a fenceline until first light and the continued my walk to "the tree". Just as I stood from the fence I spooked a doe, not a good start. Then I snorted at her once with my M.A.D grunt-snort-wheeze just to confuse her and see trotted off with out making any more noise. I kept on my walk and walked up on 2 little bucks, they were confused at the buck urine smell in my boots cause the wind was swirling and from the snort. They started walking at me and neither of them were close to shooters and I was squating in a CRP field so I snorted at them and they also trotted off. After getting to "the Tree" it was perfect minus the spooking of the deer!

It was a frosty morning and I got my bow hung on one of the trees, got my calls and stuff out of my pack and went to hang my scent bombs up out at 35 yards. It was about 7 before I was setup and ready to shoot. I hadn't seen any movement and we had our usual radio check at 9 AM. My brother, dad, and I were talking and no one had seen much, just a few deer. Then I was in the middle of a sentence and just said "...I gotta go!!!" I looked up and I seen something walking towards me in the timber and "it" was going to step out into the CRP. I first thought it was a turkey and I had a turkey tag in my pocket so they were fair game! Then "it" cleared the brush and was walking right at me, I could tell it was a good buck but I couldn't tell which buck it was, at first I thought it was one of our 2.5 year olds we had on cam and I was ready to let him walk. Then he turned his head and my eyes went WIDE open!!! "It" was the buck I had been picking his sheds up for the past 2 years and we have gotten trail cam pics of for the past 3 years!!!!

......the week before this we got a great pic of this buck about 200 yards from "The Tree" on our leaf river but I accidentaly deleted the pic so it was gone and we were devastated, but I just told my family "don't worry, I guess I'll just go out and shoot him now!".....well......

He turned and jumped the fence right by my scent bombs and stopped and smelled them. After a brief sniff he continued walking parralell to me perfectly broadside at 35 yards! I drew my bow and he didn't notice! I grunted once and he didn't notice, then I grunted LOUD and he calmly turned his head, I settled the pin and let it fly! I still remember seeing the arrow in flight and sinking perfectly behind his shoulder! He hunched his back and took off like a bat our of hell!!! I could see the arrow sticking out of him as he ran and it appeared to be high but right behind the shoulder, I knew the arrow penetrated the other side but didn't get a complete pass through. It turned out that his opposite shoulder pinned the arrow and it couldn't pass all the way through but he busted it off.

The buck ran towards where my dad was sitting in his stand (the same stand he hunted the afternoon before) and I got on the radio and was EXCITED!!! My brother and dad had been sitting with their radios to their ears just waiting for what it was I had to get off the radio for! I told them "I just smoked the buck I have my sheds to!!!" My dad just said stay calm but when my brother got on the radio he was just going nuts!!! He wanted to get out, walk the mile to where I was and see it right now!!! I went out and looked for first blood and couldn't find ANYTHING!!!

My sister was hunting a stand about 30 yards from my brother (this is her first time out and we have her and someone else sit in a setup where see is in a big stand with a rail around it and someone else sits in a stand about 30 yards from her in case she needs help) and she said the my brother Russ was just jumping in his stands and waving his arms!!!!!

Well, I told my dad the buck was probably at the bottom of the ravine by him and he waited about 25 minutes and then headed out to look for him. He found him right away and the buck didn't run 100 yards! I found the blood trail and it was HUGE and I found both sides of the arrow he busted off. Then I found my dad and my buck!!!!!!!!!!

At first when I seen the buck I was still having buck fever and wasn't thinking straight! When I first seen him he didn't look that big but I kept looking at him and he kept growing!!! My dad just gave me a big hug and told me "You are ****ing lucky!!! " I just laughed cause I had been bowhunting this land 2 years and shot two Pope and Young bucks and passed a few more and he has yet to have a good buck in range!!! He was happy for me though!!! It started raining so we walked out and go the 4 wheeler and a camera, we took a while to take pics and then loaded him up on the back of the 4 wheeler to go show my brother and sister!!! It was just an amaing experience to shoot this buck cause for the past years it was me that picked up his sheds and no one else, it could just as easily been my brother or dad to pick them up but was me?!? Then I was the one to delete the pic, WHOOPS!!! I think someone up above was watching me and helped me close this awesome story!!!!!! Here are some pics of the sheds from the past and some pics off the trail cams too!! All the trail cam pics and sheds were found withing 400 yards of where I finally shot the buck, I think we knew his home area!!!!

03_31_14.jpg

This trail cam pic is from when he was 3.5, he finally grew a left side but was all busted up! This buck was a fighting machine! When I caped him out for tanning he had scars all over including one that was 8 inches right under his chin and ran down the front of his neck! Also his left ear had a puncture wound from an antler and was permanatly disformed!

Photo12.jpg

This trail cam pic is when he was 4.5, this is LUCKY! The turkeys set the cam off but he just happened to be walking off in the distance!!

pond1.jpg

This one is from when he was 2.5

Photo10.jpg

Here are the pics of the buck!!!!!!!
jordandeer8.jpg

jordandeer7.jpg

jordandeer5.jpg

jordandeer2.jpg

jordandeer10.jpg

jordandeer1.jpg

Awesome story and a huge congrats to you! Shooting him from the ground...what a rush!! I felt like I was right there with you...nicely written story. That's a great history you have with that buck too..nice job.

Congrats and awesome story. I think that it is pretty neat when you can have sheds and trail cam pics of the buck before you take him.

Thanks guys, it was great to experience that whole story, now we got to start another experience like that one with shed hunting this year!!!!!!

This doesn't excite you at all does it! I noticed you posted multiple times is every forum. I think your in the right place for this kind of passion. Congratulations on that incredible buck and experience.
waytogo.gif

hey ironwood? what other forums do you belong to? Kisky, Realtree, or Iowadeer! I love showing people and especially seeing peoples success stories so I thought I would share mine for people who LOVE to see and read deer hunting stories! I still get nervous reading and telling the story! You should have seen me that afternoon trying to tell the story to my cousins, I couldn't hardly talk!!!!!
grin.gif

Awsome buck! Great story and picture's!!I'v never had alot of history on any buck I have taken,I would love to be able to do something like that some day.That picture of him walking in the backround with the turkey's look's like a scene you would see in a painting.(Old Buck?}
smirk.gif

Great Job Bud!!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Your story and the excitement you still carry to this day about that hunt is what it is all about! Congratulations on an awesome buck, some great photos, and a well written story. Thanks for sharing!

Great buck, story, and pictures. Congrats on your trophy, I am still pumped up from your story.

Oh ya, my brother and I do all our own taxidermy so I am going to mount him this Spring Break and my brother is going to practice on his doe he shot with his bow this year, should turn out great!!!!

There are no pictures showing up. After reading the story, I need to see some pics. Could you re post them.
Thanks

Top Bottom