Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

05 Turkey Regulation Book

Thanks for giving us the link Limb, I have been wondering when it would come out.
smile.gif

What do you all think about the new youth season? The state NWTF board was approached with this last October and of course they voted to implement it. I am an Iowa NWTF board member and would like to hear any feedback you might have on ages, length of season etc.

Thanks,

Rick Davidson

I know more than one father/uncle/etc. who have been beside responsible 9 year olds in the field who have harvested deer and turkey. Because of the age 12 minimum, these kids will miss out on the opportunity to hunt the 'youth' season but will be sitting by an oak tree during Seasons 1,2,3 or 4. Not sure I see the sense in that??
confused.gif
I suppose this is tied to the minimum age for completing the hunter safety course?

I always considered turkey hunting as one of the first opportunities to be able to get a kid in the outdoors to harvest an animal given the hunting style and controlled environment. What a great opportunity to get them out there before the rest of us. Just my 2 cents.

Some how I cant get this so can someone shot me the turkey seasons on a PM. The date of all there seasons. 1st 2nd and 3rd seasons. THANK U

Here are the gun seasons Tyler.

1st season April 11-14

2nd season April 15-19 ( resident Only)

3rd season April 20-26

4th season April 27-May 15

[ QUOTE ]
I know more than one father/uncle/etc. who have been beside responsible 9 year olds in the field who have harvested deer and turkey. Because of the age 12 minimum, these kids will miss out on the opportunity to hunt the 'youth' season but will be sitting by an oak tree during Seasons 1,2,3 or 4. Not sure I see the sense in that??
confused.gif
I suppose this is tied to the minimum age for completing the hunter safety course?

I always considered turkey hunting as one of the first opportunities to be able to get a kid in the outdoors to harvest an animal given the hunting style and controlled environment. What a great opportunity to get them out there before the rest of us. Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree...my two kids ages 9 and 11 will be hunting the regular season with me! My daughter has even passed Hunter Safety but is 11 years old and will miss out on the special youth season. It should state that all kids under 12 years old may hunt the youth season but be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult!!!
mad.gif

I called the DNR and a game warden and they both told me my 9 year old cannot go the youth season even if I am with him unarmed. I'm going first and my son will be going second with me calling unarmed.

...talked to our CO on Tuesday...he says there is a push to change the youth turkey season (and maybe the youth deer season , too) in regards to the age restrictions - since there is no age minimum restrictions during the regular seasons (why should there be for the youth seasons?)...he also brought up an interesting idea - why not make the youth license valid for all 4 seasons?...three days is quite short and one happens to be a school day...hard to justify spending the same money for 3 days that can buy you more than 2 weeks when the weather will be warmer in 4th season...

We do need to change this.....if hunter recruitment is important to us!

The kids and I had a long talk last night about who was hunting what season.

Just bought my 9 year old son a 2nd season tag and my 11 year old daughter a 4th season tag and "Daddy" picked up a couple of bow tags.

Should be a fun Spring and a busy Double Bull this year!
waytogo.gif

i think it would be an awesome idea for the youth tag to be valid all 5 seasons. that would take the anxiety out of trying to get the kid a bird in a 3 day season

Top Bottom