Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

12 vs 10

J

jason

Shot a 10 gague today for the first time... and wow PUNISHING RECOIL! I'm shooting a 12 3.5 inch with 2.25 ounces of shot. These kick like mules too, after about 5 shot i have a bruise on me cheek! But what is the differnce between a 12 gague with 2.25 ounces of shot, and a 10 gague with 2.25 ounces of shot. Some one told me that 10 gague has one more dram of powder, which only give about 200 more feet persecond. With the additional reciol the 10 gague delivers, is 200 fps really worth it?
And how many of you turkey hunters use a 10 gauge?

thanks jason

i absolutely loved my shoulder cannon of a 10 gauge. here's a pic of it lovingly setting against a nice buck rub

411buckrub5_11-03.jpg

for target practice I understand your question. For hunting purposes - do you ever feel the recoil when you shoot something???

You sure the bark on the tree isn't from ya having your back against it and shooting that cannon Muddy ? ?
jester.gif

the difference between a 10 and a 12 is 2 percent, i read in many books that a 3.5 12 is 98 percent a 10 guage, I have two ten gauges, a H&R single shot, and a double barrel side by side, and niether one, will pattern as good as my 12 3.5 inch, I will take the 12 any day!!

I saw a classified ad in the Des Moines paper a couple years ago that said "For sale: 10 gauge shotgun. Fired once".

...my 1st turkey gun was a NEF single shot 10 ga - camo'd - shortbarrel - extended full choke...I still have it and it still can make'em drop without a flop...I don't use it very often anymore...just too much weight to carry very far...the flip side is it was pretty easy on my shoulder when patterning...I now use an 870 Super Mag 12 ga...(though I only shoot 3" shells out of it)...patterns great and more fun to carry...

looks like a new england arm in that pic muddy, i have the whole family of the single shots from them, great guns.

mike

I have shot a 10 gauge Browning BPS pump for the past 12 years and absolutely love it. It kicks my A$$ when I am patterning it, however, when I am turkey or goose hunting I never feel a thing....

Jason, seems as though everyone has there own preference. My advice would be to take which ever feels more comfortable to you, and shoots the best. My choice is the Bow-tech Mighty Mite!

Top Bottom