Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

150" 8??

So if he was poached how did you get your hands on the rack, what was the evidence that he was killed illegally as opposed to natural causes or a misplaced shot from a hunter or a hard rut. I just dont get how he was poached just because someone found him dead. Clearly he had been doing some battling since his rack was all busted up. Not trying to pick a fight just curious as to why you believe he was poached your story gives no details as why you think that.

I don't know if this deer was poached. And no where in my letter from five years ago did I say that Candlestick was poached. I did gather info on my own and I have drawn my own conclusions. I will not disclose any of that on a public forum. Candlestick may have died of natural causes or by a hunter not by spotlight, but like I stated before, I have obtained information from people I believe to be credible that possessed very specific information and I formed my own opinion. But like I said I will not get into the nitty gritty details publically, but I would share my story with anyone face to face. Thanks for the questions.

Wow what a deer thanks for sharing that stuff I love seeing those big bucks never gets old. Its a shame if someone did that did they find any holes in the deer or anything or was he to tore up. That 8 is awesome id say he would be just short of 150 your choice to shoot or pass. He looks young and could be something amazing next year but he does look real nice this year goodluck to you on you choice. Maybe you should call the deer BABY C!!

Last edited:
My quick (very quick) guess on numbers came to mid-40's. I was using 24 inch beams, 16 in spread and 2's @ 11 and 3's @ 9 & 10. I think to get to 150 the rack needs either more width or more brow length.

I am a little confused about age. That buck looks like he has a mature body shape to him. However, his brows (both length and width of spread between the brows) seem to indicate younger deer. :confused:

Never-the-less, a very, very nice 8 pt.

Last edited:
Candlesticks is AMAZING!!

To name the 8pt. The first thing that I noticed was the tips of his main beams curving up. Trying to come up with something that references that. The only name that I'm coming up with is TipUp. Not great, but thats what I got for now.

I've not named too many deer in my life. I have 2 from last year that I just gave easy names. "Big 12" is one, and "Holy Sh#t" is the other one. Holy was what was said when he came walking in. I'd go with "BF8" on this one. I'll let you figure out what BF stands for..

i remember candlestick and his story from way back when...pretty sad that his story is the root cause for this section of the site going downhill. There are hardly any big deer put on the trail cam section anymore, and for good reason. Too many dip$hits in this world, who would love to do nothing else but poach the large bucks honest hunters try to pattern and take legally.

regardless, the little 8, doesn't have enough brow (IMO) to make 50's this year. He appears to be young (3.5), but if he's enough for ya then whack him.

I bet if you think about him long enough, you'll come up with your own name for him, you don't need our help:way:

I named a large 10 point last year, Hawkeye...because he was a BIG TEN.

Not sure what to call this 8 point. Suggestions will be considered.
picture.php

I would call that deer blake's buck! :way: :way: :way:

I think its funny that your candlestick looks like the very HIGH tined deer Lee and Tiffany have on video they called the very same name. To bad about your buck. If it was poached then the sh!t ball who killed him will be the only one to ever look at him.

Now your 8, I would think is in the fortys maybe. Velvet makes them all look like giants. Good luck this year.

I wasn't going to suggest any team in the Big 8...I was leaving that up to jeez...but you picked up on where I was going with it:way:

If you name him Husker, as a hawk fan (GO HAWKS, btw)...it might be extra fuel for going after him.

Husker is also fitting, considering he's standing in a corn field :grin:

Like I suggested above, if you think long enough about him, something will pop into your head. I named a buck "GaZang" one time because when I found his shed (80") my immediate thought was "GaZang" that's a big-un...

Not really looking for specifics here, but you said in your story that the rack to candelsticks went with "other family" yet I see a picture of it in what I assume is your hands. How were you able to do that with pics ? Not trying to pick on you, just really confused, unless the gentleman in the picture is not you ? ? ? Sorry he's gone and that was one helluva buck ! Name the 8pt "Dinner and a Movie" , you can enjoy his backstraps while looking at his rack !

Never in a million years would I have let anyone know that Candlesticks exhisted so you basically cut your own throat if you let it be know he was around to begin with, the sad truth these days. I don't know what proof you have he was poached or not but with all the damage to his rack he could have died from natural causes too, just saying. He could have died of old age if you would have been tight lipped and not told anyone if you or your friend didn't kill him. As far as the big 8 I would be shooting him next year if you get the chance I would say he's 140's now, nice buck and he does look to maybe have the genes of Candlesticks. Good luck on the 8 next year!

Top Bottom