Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st of the season

cybball

Well, I took my 10 year old out with me Saturday morning. The wind was out of the south and not at all what I wanted. We had two does come in from the north, and winded us right away. We saw a few more does to the west trotting through a standing bean field. My son was a little disappointed that we hadn't had a shot. I explained that it was only 8am and that the day was early. Last year it seemed good luck when I would say "I just know we will see more deer". He told me to say it and I did. Sure enough, what I thought was a big doe, came sneaking in behind us at 8:20. I stood up and grabbed my bow. The deer was headed towared a wooded strip and the bean field, which would make for a tough shot. I grunted, and at 20 yards, the deer stopped broadside. I put my 20 pin on the money and squeezed the trigger. I was using the Wasp Jackhammers I bought for turkey season, so I hoped they would work. I heard a loud "thud" when the arrow struck. I really never saw where it hit though. The deer ran into the beans and quickly circled back into the end of the draw we were in, but it was too thick to see. We waited 20 minutes and checked for the arrow. It was a complete passthrough, covered in bright blood. We backed out and headed to get the truck. I left my gambrel at home, so made the 20 minute drive. Grabbed some breakfast and headed back. I put my son on the trail and he followed it like a bloodhound. We went into the beans and back into the draw.
The deer was laying 10 feet into the draw, making it's run only 35 yards total. Let me just say that the Jackhammer worked like it should have. Complete passthrough. I hit the deer in the back edge of it's right shoulder, through both lungs, and out the other side. The entry and exit wound were perfect. The expandable opened just like it should. After I dragged the deer from the draw into the beans, I flipped it over and sure enough, a button buck. No, I wasn't happy about shooting a button, but I didn't realize it was one at the time of the shot. Sure looked like a doe in the moment. The farmer was thrilled and told us to "shoot them all". It was a great day and a wonderful experience sharing the hunt with my son. I have a couple more antlerless tags, so we will be back out next weekend. I will definately be looking for the big boy too.
Because it was so warm, we dressed it out, hung him up, and butchered him.
Saved the steaks and made burger into everything else. My Kitchen Aide mixer meat grinder went through that whole thing in 15 minutes like nothing. All meat was in the freezer by noon and it was time to watch some football.
Good luck to everyone else. Hope you guys all scored too. The deer were everywhere. Just no good bucks that I saw.

sounds like a great hunt with your son, cant beat that, congrats!
beerchug.gif

Button buck, doe, whatever...it was a great thing for your son to share the experience! Congrats!
waytogo.gif

Thats one hunt you two will never forget! Good job! Its not the sex or the size of an animal that matters when you're out there sharing time with the ones you love.
grin.gif

You guys are correct. This is our fourth year bowhunting together. I have shot one every year with him watching. He's hooked. It's so fun teaching and sharing the sport with him. Just spending quality time outdoors away from the tv and other distractions of life. That's the good stuff. I'll try to get a pic posted in the next couple days.
Thanks a million.

Way to go Cybball-- Your son will be bowhunting soon. My son bow hunted last year for the first time and got 3 shots at buck's but unfortunately all misses. We will get them this year, thats why they call it hunting. Anyhow good job keeping the youngsters involved and congrats on your deer.
smile.gif

I wasn't sure how to get my pic into this thread, but I downloaded it into the 05 Trophies. It's the 05 Button Buck with my son.

Thanks guys. I actually shot the deer, but he was in the stand with me. He get's his first crack at it next year. He's really getting good with his bow and I'm sure he will get one. Even if he doesn't, it's a lot of fun going with him. Yes, he was really excited.

Top Bottom