Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

1st time electric fence build!!! For FOOD PLOT

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Kinda like caging in my chestnut seeds- I also gave up on 2 spots ….. 2 spots continually got wiped out even when crops near & making bigger. It takes a lot for me to “give up” but I think this will be good. Not sure if it’s right or not. T posts for corners, fiberglass rods. 1/2” tape. All 3 strands are hot. My idea NEXT year for weeds by wires - might try it…. Put Dutch clover thick under them. Spray with clethodim & butyrac or whatever. Might work. Just like to not have bare soil but I know I’m being fussy.
mowed with my riding mower where fence is & I’ll spray to keep on weeds or weed whip. I’ll keep weeds and corn off Wires. Done. Deer were hammering them already. Went in with 3/4” rain too ! :). Any thoughts or suggestions?
8DFC9553-9AB2-495B-AA19-E88DC03E555E.jpeg
C083624E-038B-474F-B74C-32646F8A8079.jpeg
A2C95BF3-FCF9-458D-A70F-4BC8FB14F958.jpeg
28DE3DDD-3031-46BE-AF48-4289C27D6AC2.jpeg
54766F89-4A66-4A8C-AD8E-A238A13C8AD2.jpeg

University of Arkansas extension has a few good videos online that explain what they recommend. I went with 21" for the outside wire, 4' gap, then 24" and 36" for the inside wires...all hot. My wire heights are actually a little higher then what they recommend. It went hot this weekend around my 2 acres of beans.

Also my first year messing with electric fences. I have been shocked at the difference in beans between inside vs. Outside fence. It's wild.

University of Arkansas extension has a few good videos online that explain what they recommend. I went with 21" for the outside wire, 4' gap, then 24" and 36" for the inside wires...all hot. My wire heights are actually a little higher then what they recommend. It went hot this weekend around my 2 acres of beans.
If u can go higher - that would be easier to manage weeds. Keep posted on how it works!!

IMG_20210801_121248.jpg
IMG_20210801_121254.jpg

My fence did it's job, this plot has never looked this good. The deer are starting to get through though. I watched a doe jump over it yesterday and I saw quite a few tracks inside the fence . I'll be packing it up for the year when I get a chance but I will use it again.

I'd like to hear how this worked for you. With the way the hills come down and meet my fields, I think higher might be a little better for me as the deer are standing above it looking down in places.

My beans are almost 4' tall. My light is still blinking green, but I think the fence is probably pretty weak due to all the vegetation touching it....but I'm pleased with how it worked.

When u guys generally pull fences?
since this is my 1st time- I don’t know. One side thought…. When bucks disperse or fight for turf in September - I want as much food widely available. It’s minor but I’d like fence down by that time.

When u guys generally pull fences?
since this is my 1st time- I don’t know. One side thought…. When bucks disperse or fight for turf in September - I want as much food widely available. It’s minor but I’d like fence down by that time.
Season opens 9/15 here, so I try for few days before that so I can at least mow a single shooting lane from the blind around opener. though don't turn shredder on to prevent all the kernels from germinating. I let them down mid august once- huge mistake, lost a lit of bean yield doing that

Top Bottom