Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2-4D herbicide kill clover in native grass

Looking for some input of using 2-4d herbicide this spring to kill clover/alfalfa in a newly established stand of native grass cp-23 blend +forbs.Early spring 2007 i sprayed 2 Q/A round up on 12 acres of an estblished stand of alfa-rack. Due to the wet/cold weather i got less than an ideal kill and was forced to drill in my seed anyway due to the drill being rented and no future date available during the planting window.I mowed several times as required and it appears i have few native grass seedlings which are in competition whith the vigorous clover/alfalfa.I know some clover would add diversity but,the stand is dominated and i need to thin it to allow the natives a chance.I realize i may lose some forbs but,i need to give the natives a chance and am looking for suggestions. Your input is appreciated.

Yes, 24D will kill clover and alfalfa in grasses. It is also probably your cheapest route to take herbicide wise. I would run a quart rate (32 oz to the acre).

You could put some roundup in with the 24d if your spraying early. Since roundup will only kill whats green you might be able to kill the clover before the natives germinate.

Top Bottom