Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

20 gauge slug gun

walley250

Im thinking about getting a new slug gun for next year. Right now im thinking about getting an 1187 20 gauge. Does anyone have anything possitive or negetive to say about using a 20. They sure are lighter and would be nicer in the field.

I have hunted with several 20 gauges over the years and love them.
With a rifled barrel, good variable scope, a solid rest and shooting the Hornady SST slugs, 175+ yard shots are very do-able.
Granted, I would not shoot at a running deer at those distances, but I hunt mostly out of blinds and stands and a standing, broadside deer at 175 yards is in serious trouble.
The 1187 or 870 in 20 gauge is a safe bet.

I've got an 12g 1187 that I bought new when I used to bird hunt alot more.

Once the bird hunting slowed down I put a hastings barrel on it and a nikon scope. I shot the remington core lokt 2 3/4" out of it.

I had a lot of problems though with the thing jamming when i had slugs in it. It cost me a nice 160 class on a deer drive a few years ago as well. I gave the deer a warning shot and then nothing was there. jk on the warning shot I just missed.

If you are doing deer drives I would suggest getting a benelli w/ a slug barrel. They just don't jam and are very accurate.

If you are stand hunting I would use a Muzz.

The difference being not in the long range performance but in the trigger differences in the 2.

Shotguns have far more poundage for trigger pull therefore at long distances the difference in trigger pull makes the bullet performance mean nothing. Let's face it when you are hunting you are not on a bench.

That's why i like a muzz for stand hunting because I feel if I have to shoot at a deer at long distances my room for error is less with one.

I have an 11-87 12 guage and have slug hunted with it for years. I have never had an issue with it jamming. Just my $.02

I have an 1187 12 guage with a rifled barrel on it right now. It works great. I would suggest if your haveing a problem with it not ejecting shells i would look at the rubber o-ring under the forarm of your gun. They seem to crack easily and do cause performace issues with the gun. I wanted to get a scope insted of rifled sights so I just figured i might as well get a whole new gun. Does anyone know about trajectory or bullet fall off of a 20 gauge. I am more so looking for performace information on a 20 gauge, not suggestions about which guns to buy. In my limited research it looks like rem. is one of few gun man. who makes a 20 gauge for deer. Thanks for the replies so far

It all depends on what round you want to shoot. Look on different ammo manufacturer's websites to get a better idea of slug performance. Check out Hornady's website and look at the 20 gauge SST, 250 grain.

I have mine sighted in with what Hornady reccommends:

2.5 inches high at 50 yards = 3.3 inches high at 100 yards = dead on at 150 yards = 8.2 inches low at 200 yards

This is an awesome round. Doesn't leave the amount of blood that I would like, but the accuracy is scary-good.

I'd say gunner is closest to being right given your last question.

If you want to know 20 gauage tragectory information, look at the slug manufacturers, not the gun makers. Sorry, I know it's not the most help, but might be the most accurate.

Dont purchase a 870 unless you want to deal with a lot of rust on the gun. Have to always wipe down even if its stored away. Mossberg 500 are great 20 guages.

Top Bottom