Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

20+ Year Quest for a Springfield 1903 Comes to an End

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
A while back, I posted on here that I was looking for a WWI-era Springfield 1903 manufactured by either Rock Island Armory or the Springfield Armory and I had very specific serial number ranges. I have been searching for one of these for over 20 years. I either didn’t have the money, they weren’t in the condition I wanted, or I had too many other commitments going on. A little over a month ago I found one that met my criteria and had the money. It was a 1919 RIA 1903 Mk I. Although not exactly what I was looking for, the MKIs are cool and add an even more interesting twist on the 1903 lineage. I followed the on-line auction for a few days and then, on Holy Thursday, I went home for lunch during a meeting and placed a bid for about $1200 for this rifle. Going into it, I remember praying over it and saying “This is the only bid I will make and if I get out-bid, then God has something better for me.” I sat nervously through the rest of my meeting and as soon as it was over, I left to get my kids, knowing the auction would close as I was getting them. As I was sitting at a stoplight, I got an email letting me know I had been outbid with 13 minutes left. I contemplated pulling into a parking lot and placing another bid, but I remembered my prayer and decided that, since I was about to be confirmed in our church in a couple of weeks, I would hold my ground and trust that He had something better.

When I got home and told my wife what happened, she was kind of bummed for me, but encouraged me to keep looking. As we were waiting for the babysitter to show up, I did a quick Google search for “Springfield 1903 for sale”. Right away, a good looking Springfield Armory 1903 with a 1918 receiver and SA 1919 barrel popped up in MN. I was dumbfounded at the price ($650) and the pics looked promising. All the add said, beyond the technical stuff, was that it belonged to the seller’s grandpa who had just died and he wanted to sell it or trade for a good 9mm pistol. He described the bore as clear, and the bolt as silky smooth and he sent more pictures. It looked GREAT. He said it had been in a closet unfired for years. I asked him if he was willing to ship it and told him I was very interested. Long story short over the next couple of weeks, we got the details of the transaction all worked out (including me paying part of shipping) and I further learned that his great-grandfather was, in fact, the original owner. After his grandfather died, nobody else in the family had any interest in the rifle.

The week after my confirmation in our Catholic church, my rifle arrived and I went to pick it up from my local FFL shop. When I opened that box, my eyes got huge and my jaw just about hit the floor. This rifle was in almost pristine condition. It was missing the stacking swivel and had one spot on the bolt with worn blueing and one spot near the front sight with worn blueing. Not a scratch in the wood! I took it home and showed my wife, who was very impressed. The more she looked at it, though, the more she questioned its authenticity since it was that old but in such great shape. I flipped it around and showed her the “SA 3-19” stamp on the barrel indicating that it has been made in March 1919. I flipped it over and showed her the “P” cartouche showing that it had been proof-fired at the factory before being issued as well as showing her the inspectors’ initials stamps in front of the trigger guard. The bore: show-room clean! No pitting, no wear on rifling at all!

Then my wife looked at the shipping box and noticed it was shipped from St. Michael, MN. At my confirmation, I had chosen St. Michael as my saint because he was always something special to my family. My dad was a paratrooper in Vietnam and was wearing his St. Michael pendant the day he died. I wore that same pendant at my confirmation. My wife pointed out all the St. Michael connections and asked me if I thought my dad may have had something to do with me getting this 1903. I felt a complete chill all over my body!

So here are a couple of pics of the culmination of my 20+ year journey chasing my Grail. My Elanor, if you will. She will not be a safe queen. First chance I get, she will be at the range and I will be developing loads for it! A HUGE thanks to my lovely wife for letting me end this pursuit! Thanks for indulging a super long story, but I had to share and finally have a few free minutes to post the story up.

Last edited:
Very nice. I know I certainly miss mine. I do still have the original peep sight though. One thing i found with mine was that it would shoot pretty much anything accurately. You'll enjoy it for sure.:way:

Great story and congrats on a great looking rifle. Funny how things happen to work out at times.

Very nice, now get that damn cat away from it....... where's Bonker when ya need him? :D

Very nice. I know I certainly miss mine. I do still have the original peep sight though. One thing i found with mine was that it would shoot pretty much anything accurately. You'll enjoy it for sure.:way:

It came with the original peep sight and I finally installed it this weekend. I took a few quick and dirty measurements for bullet seating, too. Even more eager to get it out to the range.

Very nice, now get that damn cat away from it....... where's Bonker when ya need him? :D

Come on now! I hated cats growing up and then my wife convinced me to adopt this one as a 6-week old abandoned rescue. She had been dumped in the middle of the desert and was all ready hunting on her own. She has such an attitude that she can make my two German shepherds look tame when strangers come in the house! Even our GDSs won't tangle with her! Appropriately named Spazz! :D

Top Bottom