Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2008 habitat improvement.

hillrunner

PMA Member
I acquired this property in December , and instantly began making plans for for habitat improvement. I started by drilling in cave in rock switchgrass into about 8 acres of open pasture as soon as the ground would allow.
pond_home_005.JPG

The next step was to plant about 800 trees on the property with the main goal to be creating long term poaching screens from the road and neighboring properties.
In April it was time to spray. I used a 300 gallon sprayer behind the tractor to spray Atrazine and Round up on the switchgrass. After about a week it was pretty obvious I had some misses so I went out with the 4 wheeler to clean things up.
food_plottin_002.JPG

Soon after that it was time for the "bucket method" of spraying around the trees.One guy on the 4 wheeler while one followed with a bucket on a stick and the spray boom made fairly quick work of this job.
food_plottin_001.JPG

Several hours of plowing , discing had 10 acres of pasture ready for alfalfa seeding.
pond_home_016.JPG

3 cuttings later the alfalfa is doing great , the deer love it , and the bales make a great backstop for wild arrows.
bale_pic_001.JPG

Now its time for some fall plots. After spraying the brome with round up , I waited a week before burning. After burning I tilled it up with the disc.
food_plottin_020.JPG

And finally spreading the oats before discing them in.
food_plottin_021.JPG

The alfalfa looks great , the switchgrass is coming , and 99 % of the trees look healthy. Its been a ton of work , but I enjoyed it all and have plenty of plans for next year. ( including trying to remember a few more pictures along the way.)
If anyone else wants to share feel free !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">including trying to remember a few more pictures along the way.) </div></div>

Pictures tell the story and they give everyone else ideas and inspiration for thier own projects.

You've done an amazing amount of work and it's starting to pay off already!

Thanks for sharing the pics and please share progress pics of your CIR, tree plantings and foodplots when you can. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what all trees did you plant???
</div></div>

I planted about 600 red cedars and a couple hundred hybrid willow trees. I would like to do some different stuff with trees next year but didnt have the time this year. The cedars were mainly planted for a screen . I used the willows to thicken up a couple low wet areas. Ill try to grab a couple pics later today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hillrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what all trees did you plant???
</div></div>

I planted about 600 red cedars and a couple hundred hybrid willow trees. I would like to do some different stuff with trees next year but didnt have the time this year. The cedars were mainly planted for a screen . I used the willows to thicken up a couple low wet areas. Ill try to grab a couple pics later today. </div></div>

keep up the good work and it does get VERY addicting /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I am always finding something else I need to do, so species of tree, grass, wildflower to add, TSI that needs to be done. It sure is worth it tho when you see the wildlife benefiting from it.

I took a few pictures this afternoon. The 1st is of alfalfa which I seeded in this spring. I took my final cutting for the year a little under 2 weeks ago. It should have plenty of regrowth for this fall and winter.
plot_stuff_001.JPG

Next is of some switchgrass. The switchgrass looks real good in some areas and unrecognizable in others. I'm surprised at how many different grasses are growing with the atrazine I used is April.
plot_stuff_003.JPG

here is a cedar seedling put in in April , not all of them made it but most look pretty good.
plot_stuff_007.JPG

and finally a hybrid willow. The willows were nothing but 12-16 inch sticks we stuck in the mud in April and now stand from 5 - 7 feet tall. They are a great way to quickly create cover .
plot_stuff_008.JPG

I hope she comes back and looks at those trees with her children someday! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Great habitat...well done! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom