Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2012 South Dakota Buck

ShedderKG

Well guys, it's been a struggle seeing the bucks this year so far. Been covered up in does and knew that eventually, the bucks had to start coming to the area. We had some pics of a really nice 8 that is pushing 150 on this farm and some small bucks on trail cam pics during velvet season. Had seen a couple of small bucks but not even a 2 year old until this weekend. Buddy shot a 115 inch 8 pointer saturday morning. He thought he was a 125-130 but was real early in the morning when he shot so was tough to tell. His bloodtrail was tough to follow and ended up body searching ... I found blood on the trail following the river. I was so intent on finding blood I didn't look up and went a few more yards and found where he had jumped down and was going to cross the river. I squatted down and looked out towards the river and there he was...right smack dab in the middle.
8.jpg

9.jpg

In the meantime, I shot a doe that crossed the river north a little ways. Got back to the house later that day and no wallet. Not in any pockets of my gear, not in the truck, not in my buddy's vehicle. had to be in the woods somewhere. We go back sunday morning to look for my wallet. DEER EVERYWHERE and we decided not to hunt. Retracing my footsteps and where the doe crossed the river and where my buddy stepped up on the bank of the river, there was my wallet. IN THE RIVER! 2 feet off the bank. How it didn't float down the river, I will never know. PHEW! Dodged a bullet.

Right after that, we saw the buck I shot cross the river to our side. We got out of there and were going to come back that evening. On the way back to the truck we bust the 150 - 8 that we have on trail camera right by my ladder.

Come back in that night and had a bunch of does come thru and I thought PERFECT, bucks have to be tailing at some point. 5 mins left of shooting light, here he comes. Stopped him in my opening at 20 yards and he did the high leg kick and took off. Was shooting a 2 blade rage and the trail was pretty good for about 100 yards and then got slow. Baby step after baby step for about 75 more yards, then we lost it. Told my buddy to go left 30 yards and I was going to right 30 yards and meet in the middle of where we thought the buck was heading. Buddy found blood a few mins later.
blood.jpg

7.jpg

I haven't shot tons of deer but have never seen this before. It was white foam with a pool of blood. Looks like he stood there for a bit (maybe trying to get the arrow out of him??) Once we found that blood and the foam, I was feeling better. The trail really picked up from there for another 75 yards or so and there he was. Clipped both lungs and went thru the liver and he still went about 300 yards. Tough Ol bugger. He isn't huge but I'm very happy with him. Was with a good buddy for the recovery which was all the sweeter! Good luck to those with tags left!

5.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom