Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd Rut?

E

entbird

Have any of you guys seen any bucks chasing does lately? I was hunting with a buddy of mine last Friday the 14th, and we saw two deer in a field. We noticed that one was laying down and thought that maybe it had been shot. We walked closer and the doe got up and ran about 20 yards with the buck right behind her. When she stopped to see what or who we were the buck went up and bred her right there. We couldn't believe it, especially during the 2nd gun season and while they are being hunted so hard. Anyone else see anything like this lately?

Entbird

Yesterday I had the pleasure of providing the camera work for Ted of the show Inside the World Of Hunting (Outdoor channel, Monday at 6) (I wonder if I get a cap for the plug?????heheheh)

He went to a "secret" location as it were and as we walked in, I was blown away by the amount of fresh rubs and scraps we found. that morning the other crew filmed two big bucks chasing does.

Around 3:30 yesterday we filmed a "book Buck" about 50 yards out with 5 does. Shortly there after, three more does jogged past, looking over their shoulders. Sure enough it wasn't long before a small buck came working up the scrap line looking for them.

In Iowa any way from what I have noticed, the rut is kicked back in it would appear.

Was out working on my doe tags this morning. Had a group of does and fawn come running down the hill chased by a buck, at least a 3 1/2 year old. Most surprising thing was he didn't have any antlers! Didn't have my binoculars so I couldn't tell if he had shed them, broke them off or never had any.

Larry/All,

That's pretty interesting, I haven't seen any bucks antlerless myself yet but I am sure I will over the holidays.

Here is a buck/doe I caught this morning, he is a nice mature buck with does on his mind.

uploaded122001.jpg

12/20/01 - Harrison County Buck/Doe

Top Bottom