Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd season birds

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
My wife, Nicole, and I got out Saturday and filled our second season tags. We got up early, heard a few gobbles but by 7am could tell we weren't in a spot to get a bird off the roost. So we got to the truck and started driving and glassing. We saw four jakes in a spot that we thought about trying a stalk on, but the rising sun was going to be right in our eyes so we didn't attempt the stalk. Then we found two strutters in a great spot for a stalk. We snuck in on them and poppped up 75yds away. They came in long necking and had no interest in the fan. Stalk one failed. Got back to the truck and found another group of birds. Three toms and a few hens. We parked the truck and walked 100yds and spotted the birds inside 100yds. They're path had the birds coming right at us and once they saw the fans it was obvious these birds wanted to play. Three toms shoulder to shoulder, 20yds away, I let my wife count and I was going to shoot at the sound of her shot. She started counting; 1.... 2.... I said "wait! which bird are you shooting?!" Turns out at first we were both aiming at the middle bird. We got our bird picked out and she counted again. We both shot at the same time and folded our birds. Fun couple hours hunting together!

I'm starting to get to the point I enjoy turkey hunting more than deer hunting. More time spent with family. You know you're highly likely to pull the trigger when you go. Deer hunting it's to the point I love going but I know I'm not going to shoot a deer the entire season, still love going but it's different now.

1713450535842.png

Top Bottom