Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

2nd Year Sweet Spot Plot

Swarm

I have a half acre plot of Sweet Spot planted a year ago. Last Summer it established very well only to be invaded with Switchgrass the Roundup didn't take care of prior to planting. I mowed the plot in August and that took care of the problem (temporarily i'm guessing). The High Sugar Perennial Ryegrass came back strong as did the Winter White Clover. From the looks of this plot, i will need to mow again this summer to knock the Switchgrass and Foxtail down. When would be the best time to do that?

Swarm

I would think you will need to mow ryegrass several times or it will get rank but at the very least I would mow in mid to late August :)

I'm more concerned with keeping the Switchgrass from taking over than i am the Ryegrass getting rank. The deer seem to keep it grazed fairly well. When is the best time to mow off the Switchgrass? Last year when i checked it in mid July, the Switchgrass had gotten 6' tall.

Thanks.
Swarm

Top Bottom