Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

.308 Rounds from a AR for Deer?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, got a Rock River AR - http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=402

It may be years before I blast a deer with it or I may go to Kansas on a rifle hunt at some point. got the .308 Nikon scope. I really like this set-up even though I've never even fired it.

I read some good things about Federal Premium's with the Ballistic Tips. I can't even find any in stock though!!! No where thus far. Should I hold out for something like that for bullets? 165 or 168 grain or whatever or should I do a different grain tip?

What my goal is: I want a super accurate, tight group, flat shooting that will explode deer :) I could care less about: high costs as I am not shooting all the time & wasted meat as I'm fine with buying an extra couple pounds of burger at the store to make up for a blown up critter that won't be wounded. What do you suggest? Are there rounds that fire better outta this gun if anyone has shot it or am I pretty safe with any load? for example, my shotgun would not shoot Hornady slugs worth a piss - are rifles the same way? Any help appreciated!

This forum has a thread all about the Hornady SST "blowing up" on deer.
Check out the photo in post number 15. Granted it was from a different caliber than your working with but I think bullet performance would be similar.
Here is some 165 grain ammo by Hornady for sale on MidwayUSA.

Be sure to post pics if/when you whack a deer with your new toy!

Last edited:
Any expanding ammo that the gun shoots well will work just fine. I personally have good luck with the Hornady Match 168gr AMAX and BTHP loads. They are around $28.00/20 but my rifle (bolt gun) shoots them really well. Scheels in IC has the BTHP rounds as I'm sure the other stores do as well.

Every gun is different and will like some loads vs. others so you just have to get a few and head to the range. I've actually had good luck with most Hornady rounds that I've shot. My .243 and .30-06 both like the superformance.

I've rarely had performance issues with Hornady ammo from any of my rifles, but like others have said, every rifle is different. I've seen rifles shoot cheap ammo really well and expensive (high-quality) ammo really poorly and vice-versa. You just have to try them to see how they group. Remember, one shot at a target doesn't make an accurate rifle. You need to shoot 3-5 rounds to see how they group. Those that group 1.5" or less at 100 yards are the ones you want to hunt with. And make sure your hunting set up is sighted in with what you hunt with. It will have a different point of impact for your hunting rounds vs. plinking/practice rounds.

While you're at it, look at Barnes TSX and TTSX. If you don't reload, you can get their Vor-TX factory ammo. With the overall performance of their all copper bullets, you can actually drop a bullet size/weight (go to 150 gr) and get the same knock-down power as you would from "standard" (i.e. non-copper) bullets in the 165-168 gr range. Hornady also makes a great non-lead bullet that will have the same effect.

That is a sweet piece!! I think with that heavy barrel, you can get pretty picky about your rounds and how tight they group. A buddy of mine got a savage 308 off the shelf years ago and slapped some ridiculous ballistic scope on it. Helping him sight it in I learned quick that its not the flattest shooting caliber out there but it is ACCURATE. I guess there is a reason snipers choose 308 and 338 Lapua almost exclusively over flatter shooting 300 wsm or ultra mag, etc.

There's alot of match ammo available commercially for .308 (or was, before our latest ammo runs). That's why it's so popular in the tactical shooting community. A good resource to check is snipershide.com. It's a goofy name, but theres a wealth of information on the forums over there. You can also check out longrangehunting.com.

For ammo, check out midwayusa.com. I set the product notifications on the type(s) that I like and order when its back in stock. Also starting to get into reloading so I can fine tune.

.308 isn't the flattest caliber (as mentioned) but it has a bunch of benefits besides. I would recommend getting a scope with mil adjust turrets and mil based reticle if you plan on doing any long range shooting.

Look at the Nosler Partition too. Pretty good bullet. I've only shot 150 gr but that's out of my Encore .308 15" pistol.

You're gearing up for that prestigious Michigan tag aren't you?

Well Michigan is a 10 year draw for a whitetail tag because they are in such high demand on those mammoth trophy MI spike bucks. So, ya, dreaming ahead.

I checked 4 stores that were out, 1 had some stuff and did a little research. 1 thing - some guys said the RR arms gun I have has an aggressive barrel twist rate - thus, requiring a heavier bullet. The info he showed me was 170 - 185 grain bullet tip. I found some Winchester Silver Tip Ballistic tips that were 168 grains. They EXPLODE deer. I figured I was 2 grains light for what the chart said I needed but I think it'll be ok. I shot those outta my .300 remington Ultra Mag (I think it was the same bullet??) and those holes were bigger than footballs, no joke. Think I ever wounded a deer?!?!? :) So, .308, 168 grain silver tip/ballistic tips it is. Less power than the .300 Ultra Mag is just fine for me - I think blowing half the deer off is a little excessive. It was fun one day shooting a woodchuck with that .300 RUM, blew the thing absolutely completely to pieces except the leg & small lower area left - I mean completely gone. Good times. Few more years, Kansas - here I come, or maybe even Canada someday. For now, hmmmmm, maybe some crows.... Dang, what can I even shoot?!?!?

What's the twist rate on the gun you have now?

I would be surprised if it didn't shoot 168/175 gr loads well.

I've had good luck with anything Hornady. I'm loading my own now but using Hornady components to do so.

It says on the website it has a 1:10 twist rate. Buddy I talked to said he shot several types of bullets out of his and all were tack drivers, super accurate. Should be plenty good. Time to have some fun with this bugger!

^This is good advice. Best way to know is to just shoot it, all rifles are different.

I prefer something 168gr and heavier in my 308 anyhow. I would grab a few boxes of 168's, a couple 175's and hit the range. Something in there will shoot. I'm working on a load for my 16.5" Ruger Scout 308, but for factory ammo it ran the hornady match AMAX 168 really well. I'm using the same bullet just trying to dial in the powder charge. It's also a 1-10 twist

Top Bottom