Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

3rd season bird

Handcannon

Well, it has been interesting during the 3rd season. Saturday I missed a bird that honestly was way too far away. But today, Sunday, was one crazy day. I get set in place about 5:25am at public ground about 50 yards from the where the milo & short green grass meet. I took the long way around so I wouldn't scare anything out of the timber. At one point around 7am I had 9 different gobblers all sounding off in the woods. It was kinda like dominoes sometimes. They were popping off right to left for a good 1/4 mile in length. Made me chuckle. Anyways, about 7:15am I look up & there is a huge tom that just appeared out of nowhere at 60+ yards. He gets a little closer & I can't take it anymore. I was shakin & made a clean miss. Buck fever....on a turkey? Angry at myself, I walked around the entire milo & tall grass patch. I ended up at the end of the cedars overlooking where I was earlier. I'm sitting there & see a turkey come out of where I was just sitting!!! Then another....& another!!! I watch them feeding & shake my gobble call. I see a fan come up & he's struttin around. I decided to go get him. I went all the way around & I made my way through the timber being as quiet as I could. The plan was to belly crawl out of the timber up to the edge of the grass. But there was a turkey sitting on the ground at the edge of the timber & grass. I was about 20 yards from it & it was facing away from me. I thought maybe it was hen on a nest so I just froze by a tree. I tried everything to get it to leave w/ out scaring it. It sat there forever it seemed & then for no apparent reason it stood up. Then it turned sideways & I see this beard hanging down! I turned on my GoPro camera & his head was behind a tree, no shot. Then he just turns & starts walking away w/ his head down, no shot again! I yelped & his head came up high. Game over. He seemed to be a fairly young bird but for sure is not a jake. He weighed 18 #, just barely 1" spurs & a 10" beard.

Here's a link of the hunt http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo-Cc5pmtUs&list=UUpLqm5wQbu_uSsXrxQ4wqww&index=1

3869-2013_turkey.jpg

Nice work :way:

I know what you mean about "turkey fever"...I have more trouble trying to hold my bow steady on a turkey than I ever have on a big buck. Guess that's part of what keeps us coming back.

NWBuck

Top Bottom