Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4/13 report

Bowhunt

The turkeys were going nuts this morning. We had 6 toms on the same ridge as us this morning gobbling heads off until 8:30. We heard lots of other toms, but the teraiin kept working against us. They would gobble at a call like crazy, but did not work all that well. We only heard one hen, going out again tonight after class to see how it goes, if I have no luck tonight. I know where to go in the morning.

We had just the opposite this morning. Only heard about five gobbles total out to two different birds, compared to 6 birds yesterday going absolutely nuts. But today paided off. I called in my dads first bird this morning at about 9:30 21 lbs 9in beard, nice two year old bird.

261Dad_s_1st.JPG

I was with bowhunt..it was a pretty awesome morning for gobbling but a non-exsistent harvest. On the bright side bowhunt got to meet a coon up close and personal...i think he was gonna sit on his lap..

Seeing as how they were so silent yesterday and it was going to be cold again this morning, I played a different strategy. I stayed in bed and slept in, then I ran some errands, etc. I didn't get in the woods until about 11:35A. I rallied up my first gobble about 15 minutes later and then set up and began to call in earnest. He gobbled about 30-40 times and eventually I shot him about 45 minutes later. He wasn't huge, probably about 20-22# or so, his spurs were only 7/8", but I am not complaining!
laugh.gif

Top Bottom