Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4/23 bird

turtlshell

PMA Member
Well I, somehow, managed to wait until 3rd season this year to try my luck. After calling in several birds for my brother during second season and not connecting I was ready to drop the hammer. The local hunting pressure seemed to increase 10-fold or better this year as I heard over a dozen gun-shots during my week(+) in the woods. That was very frustrating and has me thinking about not going after bird number two. I have two birds that I really want to harvest, both have eluded me and my dad for over three years. They've proven to be difficult birds to hunt and are still very much alive.

With the winds that were gusting last week I didn't have too high of hopes and knew that with the increased hunting pressure I'd have to take whatever offered a shot. With almost no gobbling in the evening I knew I was going in blind...not my preferred approach. Add to it, nearly no gobbling in the morning, I knew it was going to have to be a run-n-gun mission. I sat until 7:30 and decided it was time to MAKE something happen. I hit up a four-wheeler trail across a CRP field to a known strut zone and stopped about 60yds shy in the only available cover...a two foot high and wide red-cedar tree. I hit my glass call two or three times and waited. NOTHING. Then Mr. Crow flew over and cawed, which was promptly followed by a loud gobble. I knew the bird was close. I let out a few soft yelps and just started scanning the area. The tom came out of the shrubs in full strut. He put on a show for about five minutes and pretty much stood his ground. He didn't want to come my direction. Luckily for me a real hen came to investigate. I watched her patter and pointed my guy towards the spot in the trail where she has emerged. Not two minutes later strutter and his side kick came out from the same trail. I had to whistle at him to get him to drop out of strut. As soon as his head poked up a bit I let the Ole 3.5" turkey Slayer BARK. Dropped him in his tracks.

Pretty much an average two year old bird. 22.25lbs, matching three-quarter inch spurs, and a 9.25" beard. I didn't take the time to set up my tripod and do a "self-timer" photo, so this will have to do.

picture.php

That evening I was treated to the Dierks Bently concert at the IMU. It was a good time. I spent the night in Iowa City and decided to hit up the Coralville Res in the morning with hope the crappies were biting. Second cast I landed a 14.75" slab and thought it was on.
picture.php
Several more casts resulted in nothing. I switched spots and my first cast something strong hammered my minnow. I thought it maybe a small flathead. NOPE, it was an 18" eye.
picture.php

Made for a nice few days.

Nice job! :way: Way to get the team on the board haha. I'll get one tallied one of these days don't worry! Don't get discouraged... I know you got a 30 pounder waiting for you 4th season! :grin:

Top Bottom