Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4 bearded bird

muddy

member btrout123 sent me a pic of his 4 bearded tom from this spring. Hopefully he'll fill us in with a story now!

4114beard.jpg

Holy Schmidt!!!
That is some kind of bird....

Yes,
we need the story, i miss turkey season already and could use a good turkey story to reminise again!!!
Lets hear it

I got the bird on opening day of the second season. I generally hunt the 1st season up by Highlandville, in NE Iowa, but due to sickness in the family decided to stay closer to home. The bird was taken in Butler Co. On the morning of the hunt, I sat from 1/2 hr. before sunrise till 8:30 and didn't hear or see a bird. I thought I would give it till around 9:00 and then try later in the afternoon. Well, about 15 min. later 5 hens came out across the field. They feed for a while and then walked back into the woods. They had no sooner left and a big tom comes out and start feeding. I call and he starts coming my way, strutting most of the time. I kept watching him and then caught movement out of the corner of my eye and here come 5 jakes running across the field and stop about 30 yds. away. I wanted the tom so I just waited. The tom went behin a little knoll and all I could see was the top of his fan. All of sudden, here comes 7 more birds from across the field. Now I had 12 birds within 40 yds, but the tom wouldn't come up on top of the knoll. Then I see this bird chasing a jake and I saw that it had a nice beard so I decided to take it. He was about 40 yds. away when I shot. I knew he had a thick beard, but no idea that he had 4 beards until I picked him, what a suprise. He wasn't the big tom that was behind the knoll. The bird I shot wasn't big, weighed 19 1/2 lbs. only had 3/4" spurs, but the beards made up for that. Never had a turkey mounted before, but having this one done. It might be a once in a lifetime deal. The lenght of the beards from top to bottom: 7", 7 1/4", 9 1/2" & 8".

[ QUOTE ]
Great bird. Make sure to post some pics of him after your mount is finished.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! That's a great bird!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Never had a turkey mounted before, but having this one done. It might be a once in a lifetime deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sweet bird man
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom