Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4 Wheeler?

luvtohunt

I'm looking to buy a new or good used 4 wheeler soon. Any advice? 4 wheel vs 2 wheel drive? Brands?

Thank you for your input.
laugh.gif

Now's the time to buy new 2004,like cars,trucks dealers are pushing last years models to make room for 2005.Great time for a deal. I have a Honda Rancher 350- fulltime 4wd.Big enough to push snow ,yet not so big it can't get thru the timber. Great bike!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I had a Grizzly 660 and traded it for a Rhino. Both are Yamaha, Grz is a standard atv Rhino is a side by side. Both great. I liked the Griz 'cause it went ANYWHERE. Selectable front locker and independent rear as well as front suspension. High low range. Went way to fast for me though. Rhino has the same basic design and is alot more useful around the acerage. Both are great.

The 'Bonker

One other thing.. If the salesman ask you if the quad is going to be used for farm use. Tell'um yes, it will knock $500.00 plus off the price in taxes!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have a 04 Artic Cat 650 v twin along with mudlite tires and winch. If your looking to go where no man has gone. I'd recommend it. It floats and has the power like a hemi in a neon. What I like about Artic Cat is they carry tons of accessories, and alot of hunting stuff. I'd recommend adding a clucth kit with the 650 as I've been through 5 belts over the summer and fall. Finally came out with a kit for it. Thats only 60 bucks for the after market kit. www.artic cat.com

In my openion you cant beat a Honda. The 350 rancher 4*4 is a good unit. The 450 forman is what I have. I went with it because I use it to plow my driveway otherwise I would have gotten a 350. The bigger quads are just a big waste of money. They may have more power, but they weight so much more. I suggust you go look at everything out their before you decide and keep an open mind.

Yeah, the Griz was heavy, but what a smooth ride. I'd have a set of Mudlites too, they are super tires, but with a locked rearend I'm tearing up the yard bad enough with stock. If I was in Alaska like Alaskan I'd have Mudlites too.

The 'Bonker

I have a Honda Rubicon and i love it. I put some Maxxis Bighorn Radial tires on it and think that the extra moeny for the radial tires was well worth it. My brother has a Polaris sportsman and he likes my honda better because my automatic transmission doesn't have any belts in it that will spin when they get wet. We do alot of ridding in the off season and we like to ride in cricks and the cvt transmissions that kawisakis, polaris, actic cat, and suzuki have for their automatics don't like a lot of water. They are all nice machines in my opinoin though.

I won a Yamaha Bruin 350 from one of the local radio stations. I thought about trading/selling it and getting the Honda rancher until I took it out for a ride. If you want a great ride this is your machine. Automatic transmission, switch on the fly four wheel drive, disk brakes, higher ground clearance than the rest. Even has a governer on the throtle so kids can drive it and not go balls to the wall.
grin.gif

I have a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak and absolutely love it. More than enough power, and small enough to fit through the tight places the big boys can't go. Automatic transmission, push button 4WD, and can haul about as much as you can load on it. Whether it's safe or not is a different story, but I hauled out 300 pounds of moose meat with it this fall plus my body weight for 22 miles. I bottomed out a few times, but it kept on truckin! I've put my wheeler to the test here in Alaska and have yet to have a problem with it...unless I'm an idiot and submerge it like I did last fall!
grin.gif

I'm heading to Texas in a few weeks and put in an order with a good friend that's in the wholesale business for a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki, 4x4, in the 350 to 450 range. Hopefully he'll have one for me cause I already bought the plane ticket...
icon_rolleyes[1].gif

Shoot2kill, I have been in that situation where I get in on a trail a few miles and am forced to turn around or get permimitly stuck between trees.

I agree with Alaskan. I too have an Artic Cat. It is a 2001 500 4x4 with a winch. I have been able to go places where my friends or fellow church riders have not been able to go.

I had a Polaris Sportsman 500 a year ago and traded into the bigger 700 twin this year. I have nothing but good things to say about the polaris quads that I have owned. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. you can get a used quad for under $4000.00 that will haul all the dead deer you can get your hands on or spend over $10,000 getting a new, big-bore quad with all the goodies....okay, mabey not ALL the goodies.

I personally like a smooth ride in a utility quad, Polaris' independant rear suspension rides way smoother than the Yamaha and Kawasaki quads I rode in the same engine class. I have never had cold weather start problems with it, always been very impressed with how much it can tow/pull, and it pushes snow like a champ. It'll hit 65 mph if you want it to, climb about anything you ask it to and frankly, looks good.(camo of coarse) Like I said, price will probably be the deciding factor... I don't think you can buy a "bad" quad anymore, it's probably more a question of how much you want to spend.

DLO nailed it. I really wouldn't go under the 3000 mark for a used one as they typical are older or misused for that price. If its just for deer hunting those old honda 3 wheelers are the most dependable I've came across for the purpose. Its just a matter of finding a good one.

i have a kawasaki mule 3000 4x4 best all around vechile you would ever want it carries two people up front and i have had 5 deer in the back its versitile and goes just about anywhere

Top Bottom