Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

45 caliber muzzleloader or 50 caliber muzzleloader

S

shugs

45 cal or 50 cal muzzleloader

help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! asap

.45, speed kills.
smirk.gif

unless you are going to hunt game no larger than whitetail, or are going to shoot antelope out west, where longer shots are the norm, i would go with the .50. if you are huniting iowa, it is RARE to get a 200 yard shot at a deer in the timber. some states allow only .50 and larger claibers. and .50 caliber powder and accessories are WAY more abundant, especially in smaller shops. i really don't see any need for a .45. as long as you practice with the .50, you can make the same shot you could with a .45.

S H O C K kills

Both the .45 & the .50 cal are good calibers in a muzzleloader for deer sized game.

As two of my fellow peers on this site have already stated "speed kills" & "shock kills". While both of these elements are important in a humane kill, I believe that shot placement out weighs the other two mentioned factors.

No matter what caliber you chose, being a responsible hunter involves studying the anatomy of the game species you are hunting, learning to judge distance, firearm safety, and taking your muzzleloader to the range and practice, practice, practices. Good Luck.

Very simple! Buy a .50 cal. This way you can shoot .50 round/maxis and .50 cal sabots with .45 slugs.

.50, .50, .50...... the only reason i say that is it will shoot just as far, better knock down power, and better for shooting in heavy cover! just my 2 cents
waytogo.gif

Im going to switch from 50 to 45 soon as I can afford one, The exit holes going through those deer are way bigger than the ones i leave
smile.gif
plus I like to be different
beerchug.gif

50 cal is generally lighter than a 45 because they use the same stock for both barrels but the 50 has a bigger hole (less material). both are good on deer but you can find 50 cal stuff just about anywhere. 45 might be a little harder to find at times.

[ QUOTE ]
50 cal is generally lighter than a 45 because they use the same stock for both barrels but the 50 has a bigger hole (less material). both are good on deer but you can find 50 cal stuff just about anywhere. 45 might be a little harder to find at times.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weight is usually the same because they flute the barrels to reduce excess. This argument is much a kin to the difference between the 7mm and .270. The .45 is just new and warrents a look. And I like the speed.
grin.gif

djhunter:
you are right, there are some with fluted barrels, but many that aren't. i was only making a point about weight, which can be an issue with some people....

Top Bottom