Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4th season bird

scottonbuck

Well I am finally getting around to talk about turkey season, The youth season started off with a bang as my oldest son Jacob killed his 4th turkey a 23# gobby which he still rubs in as being the biggest of the year. Even though my second bird weighed as much as his go figure. It was tough hunting for me as I could get the birds located but they would just hang up just out of range for the stick flicker. The best morning I had we had 12 strutters within 60 yards of the blind and it was only a matter of time before one would come in to close and get stuck, but whats that my phone was vibrating and woudlnt you know it was my wife saying she was in labor. Needless to say we didnt kill a gobby that day. Two days after my third son Quimby was born I stuck out for a quick hunt in the PM. and spotted 6 strutters in the corn field. I snuck around and got in front of them popped the DB up and waited. 30 min later I see tail fans poking over the hill top forever later one finally came strutting into the set up and I hammered him at 12 yards. Bird one down 22.5# 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I did not get out again untill 4th season. I had a combo tag for 4th so I busted out the ol 1187 since I havent killed a gobby with a gun for awhile now. Went out on a Friday afternoon with the winds howling around 30mph and checked a few fields to spots some stutters hiding out of the wind. I spotted two toms all by themselves in a vulnerable spot so I turned the truck around and parked on the other side of the farm and started hiking in to get in front of them. After a 30 min walk I was in position approxiamately 200 yards uphill from where the toms were at. I sat against a tree got situated and gave a few yelps. I thought to myself dang I better yelp louder with this wind howling so I let the woodhaven sing. Look to my right and a big red head came be bopping over the hill. I turn slightly to my right and settle the bead and beak blasted him, shortest hunt in a long time for me I wasnt sitting for 5 min. Bird #2 weighed in at 23# 10 inch beard and 1.125 spurs. with a contest entry score of 65.5 if my math is correct. I still havent figured out how to post pics on this site so bear with me on this one. All in all it was a good year in the turkey woods, I didnt get out as much as I usually do since I am involved in 3 baseball teams and had a new baby in the house. It has become very busy and hectic at my house in the spring. I just had to take advantage of any free time that came my way.

Top Bottom