Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4th Season Gobbler

DOUBLE LUNG

Well Houston and I had a great turkey season this year. We had some good misses (myself) and some great hits. For the 4th season I filled my tag on
5-7-04 and it was an interesting hunt. In the morning we had some trouble to get them gobblers to make some noise so we could get set up where we needed.
FInally one desides to make some noise and we rushed to set up. He was hot for some sweat loving and I was waiting. But we ran into a little problem.
He showed up on the other site of the ditch and was not going to cross it. So I had no choice but to belly crawl and try to get as close to him as possible. As I make my way he picks up a hen which I thought would take him away from me.
I get to where I need to be and put my bead on him. I needed him to get in a certain spot because that was all I had for an opening. Well he got to where I needed him and I pulled the trigger. CLICK, %$@)*!, yep that's right I forgot to put a shell in the chamber. So i had to wait again for him to get in that spot. Needless to say I was a little nervous and I knew Houston was never going to let me live this down.
So the gobbler gets into the spot again and I pull the trigger, he goes down for a bit and gets back up and takes off running, so limbs started falling after that. Let's just say when he was running away he wasn't in that shooting lane.
So after that we went back to town and there was only two things to talk about, no shell in the chamber and not killing that turkey. I took some abuse but I deserved it. So that evening we went out and found some in a field and made the round about way to them. Once again I had to do some belly crawling to get close. I got to where I needed to be and put my bead on him.
There were two gobblers and about 6 hens. I couldn't see his friends beard which was at 30 yards and he was out there 60 steps and had a nice beard from what i could see. The mossberg 835 with federal 3.5" 4shot did just what it needed to. It was a great season and we have some great stories to talk about for a long time.
The gobbler was around 24lbs, 10.5" beard, 1" spurs.

556.jpg

Conrats, Nice bird. I almost did the same damn thing this year forgetting to put a shell in the chamber. Luckily I remembered before he got to close!

awesome story and congratulations!!! I did that once while coyote hunting, had 2 come in and i didnt have a shell in the chamber
frown.gif
sounds like you had a great year!!!!
smile.gif

Hell of a hunt.I had to do some sneaking on one of my bird's this year.Whatever it take's to get it done.
Congratulation's!
waytogo.gif

Great job. I've pulled the empty camber game more than once. The first good buck I ever had a chance at received the click of an empty. Great picture and great story.
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Nice bird, congrats.

I have had the same thing happen. Two toms six feet from my gun barrel.All I heard was click, and two turkeys laughing at me as they made their getaway.
smile.gif

It was a great season and we had great luck. Now I have to wait another year to bust them up again. But it will be well worth it. I hope everyone had a great season and has some awesome and awful memories of it.

Well I do believe that the story you just read was 100% correct, however he did redeem himself well with a long shot later that day, I had a blast calling in birds for double lung this year, a fun and dedicated hunting partner doesn't come along but very very seldom, and if your not paying attention you might have never known it.Your always welcome double lung.
Houston!!

Top Bottom