Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

4th season public ground bird

zvholk

After a 3 hour drive I got to Mike’s (Liv4Rut) around 11:00 didn’t visit much because we had to get up at 3 A.M. for an hour drive. I went right to bed, or so I thought I was; due to us getting up so early and not wanting to wake the family Mike and I both slept in the basement, him on one couch and I on another. Note, anyone who ever sleeps with Mike, bring ear plugs. He snored so bad I didn’t sleep a wink and before I knew it the clock said 3:00.

About ½ hour in we stopped at a gas station for coffee and to take care of morning business, that’s when Mike noticed that we forgot the DSD Jake. Not wanting to go back, I looked over and saw a pallet of kingsford charcoal!! Remembering someone once said on Iowawhitetail that all you need is a light breeze and a charcoal bag to kill a turkey.:grin::drink1::grin:
We used the string from my camera case to form a little head and let the slack hang down for the beard, put it on a stake and we are hunting .
The hunt was very fast, I think it was 5:20 when we heard the first gobble. 5:45 a Jake came out and was working his way around our setup at 40 or so yards, then a gobble this time it was close. Seconds later we see him, another gobble. that’s when the wind turned the KCD (Kingsford Charcoal Decoy) around so that it was facing him. I have never seen a turkey run so fast, he sprinted for the KCD when he got to him he puffed up and started flapping his wings at the decoy. I pulled back the string and touched my release, at 6 yards the arrow hit hard. The big boss turned and limped off leaving a trail of blood only to make it 5 yards.

I don’t know who this Dave Smith guy is but he better watch out because there is a new decoy in town.:way:

20 lbs 10 oz, 1 1/16 in. and 1 1/4 in> spurs, 10 1/4 in. beard = 64.25

turkey5-2-11001.jpg

turkey5-2-11018.jpg

turkey5-2-11017.jpg

turkey5-2-11015.jpg

I love this! I really hope you actually used that deke that way!

:way:

Cooter, Zach is full of it. I don't snore at all!! Awesome hunt my friend, awesome hunt!! :)

I bet HCH is scratching his head! Congrats! I think I will try that in the morning nothing else seems to work.

haha.. i love it.. I think people give way to much credit to the IQ of a turkey.. just when you think they are tough to kill, you realize their brain is the size of your thumb nail... congrats..!!!

I can't believe you would spend your money on that high end charcoal! With a few modifications a garbage bag works just fine. Some guys just have to have the best of everything :thrwrck: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats man:way:

Congrats on a great bird. I'm sorry you had to personally experience Mikes version of two grizzly bears fighting while you were trying to sleep. I for one have had to listen to this firsthand countless times and it is frightening how loud one person could be.

Top Bottom