Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

50 yard shot

J

jason

I got a new 870 supermag last year hoping for that 50 yard shot just incase I had to make it.
I'm shooting rem shells, 3 1/2'', 2 1/4 ounce, #4 shoot, with a lohlman choke. At 30 yards its awesome, 40, so so, 50, not one shot on the paper. I have tried different brands of shells and ounces of shot, but not a choke. I've heard M.A.D makes a good choke called M.A.D Max. I read an article in field&stream at bout a 50 yard shot with 3 1/2'' shells. They were using the same choke, I was just wondering if it was worth spending 60$ on the choke, hopping to get me a 50 yard shot, or is there something else I can do?

Thanks, and good hunting

jason v

I don't care what shellls, shot size, choke tube, optics or hevi-shot a person uses.....a 50-yard shot is not a very ethical shot for a turkey. Don't get me wrong, it can be done....but there are just so many things that can go wrong out to 50 yards, and nothing is worse than wounding a nice tom. I have never done it, and hope I never will. The kill zone is such a small area, the best bet is to call that bird within 40 yards, or closer. Get your gun, choke, shell combination tweeked into shooting well from 20, 30 and 40 yards and let them walk past that. They deserve better.

I'd agree with Gunnerjon- 50 is a long desperation shot, they deserve better no matter what you read. I'd probably also say that if your 3&1/2 in did ok at 30 & 40 but didn't put a shot in the paper at 50 it wasn't the fault of the gun. I'd guess FLINCH!!!

I remember one of the last years I turkey hunted with a shot gun. A big tom stopped and all I could see was his bean sticking out from behind the tree. I could've swore he said "Your 10 gauge can't touch me here". 50 yards...he was wrong. I can still remember learning something that day...don't lean back against the tree with your shoulder while letting the hammer fly on a 10 gauge...ouch!

I'm all about hunting ethical, but I'm pretty sure a 50 yard shot is nothing. Ealier this winter I patterned my gun, and I shot at sheet metal at 40 yards. I was surprised at the results. It didn't penetrate, but it did a number to it, and that is steel at 40 yards. I'm pretty sure 10 more yards isn't nothing for a shot gun. You have to remember shot guns and ammo are at is best, with the hottest burning powers, and new non toxic metals that are more lethal that lead! I don't see it being any different that people using 20 gagues and shooting toms at 40 yards, and there isn't near the amount of powder in a 20 gague. So I'm almost positive 12 gagues are more that suficient at 50 yards. Plus I said I would only take the shot unless I had to, which means chasing wounded bird.

jason

Well, first of all if you are shooting anything other than Hevi-shot or Bismuth or something like that....you are still shooting lead. Copperplated lead is still copperplated lead. And if people are taking consistent killing shots with a 20 gauge at 40 yards, it is probably choked so tight I wouldn't want to shoot it. 40 yards for a 20 gauge is not very responsible either for consistent patterning, unless some Hevi-shot is in the chamber. Turkey hunting is not a 50 yard game. Those turkeys deserve better than that. I think people need to re-examine their thoughts if they think a "50 yard shot is nothing" on a turkey. 10 yards can make a huge difference. 50 yard shots can be made on turkeys, but why take the chance? Turkey hunting should be about getting to know that big tom and getting him close, then taking him with a good shot to the head......not peppering his whole body and taking a chance with a 50 yard shot. Like I said before, those turkeys deserve much better than that.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I respect turkeys and other game just as much as you do, or any other hunter there is.
If you wounded a turkey, and he ran out to 50 yards, what would u do, watch him limp away, or finish him? I understand on how u feel, about shooting a bird at long range. Sometimes I feel the same about rifle hunter for deer. I was just wondering how to pull my pattern together to take that needed shot.

good hunting

jason

Don't worry, no problems here. Not trying to start anything either.

An ethical shot is one you know you can make no matter the range. Good luck with the patterning. I wasn't trying to start anything either. If I were to start something- I'd ask about the ethical range for cats :)

Jason:

Part of the problem, as I see it, with getting a shotgun to pattern at 50 yards is the temptation factor. If you think that a 50 yard shot is nothing and you get a bird that hangs up at 50 or 60 yards then you are tempted to take the shot anyway, instead of keeping that long shot to help with a cripple. If your gun shoots good to 40 yards and you only take good shots and you use a lot of paticence you won't have any cripples. A #4 pellet doesn't care whether it is shot from a 20 or a 12 gauge, and the turkey only cares about how many hits it. Given the same velosity the pellet energy is the same from both guns and loads. I have a tough time telling the diference between 45, 50, or 55 yards, that is why I try to shoot inside 20 yards. Much easier for my old eyes. Good luck in April!

Unless you are using a rangefinder..... most people cannot accurately judge 50 yards while sitting on the ground in a forested woodlot. Do yourself a favor...... call him inside 30 yards
wink.gif

I try my hardest every time I hunt these birds! I've hunted in the hottest days, rain, rain and more rain, even filled my boots full or creek water, hunted a few days over 12 hours. I practice on my calls almost year round, pattern my gun ever year, even though i know it will shoot the exact same. My first year of turkey hunting I passed up 2 toms because I thought I couldn't make the shot. Trust me I wouldn't invest as much time as I do in hunting and fishing to get the best etical hunt out of it. And if I could call a bird in in less that 30 yards I would, but the chances are stacked a gainst you greatly. I just don't want you guys to think I'm looking for ways to cut corners, and take the easy way out. I just wanted to know how to stop that crippled bird if that time ever comes along. Thanks for all the imput and thoughts!!!!

good hunting

jason

Jason,
Upon reading your initial post you stated you didn't get one pellet on the paper at 50yrds, and your pattern was going to so-so at 40yds. Field and Stream probably has some vested interest in selling $60 MAD MAX choke tubes and 3 1/2" shells. And I think you answered your own question about what else you can do....Shoot 'em 35yds in and closer. I have faith you are a good enough hunter to be patient and bring 'em in close. Your initial post didn't mention anything about a follow up shot, but making a 50yd shot. Obviously you'll do all you can to deliver a finishing blow on a crippled bird. But if you get them close a 50yd shot shouldn't be necessary.

Pupster

Jason,
I'm curious how long you've hunted turkeys? Have you harvested one? You are to be commended after passing up a questionable shot on the 2 toms. Very ethical.

Yes, it's a challenge to get them in close but you can do it. 30 yrds is a very effective range, be patient it'll happen, and when it does you'll be very proud of yourself for being patient and persistent. Having them in close is when the excitement really kicks in!
grin.gif

Good Luck
Pupster

This is something I have thought on now and then as a trend in our hunting. It almost appears to me we are trying to push the game away from us with our high speed bows, high powered shotguns and muzzleloaders. Hunting or remote killing?

Regardless of the tools, decreasing the distance of the shot usually increases the potential for a clean harvest.

Each hunter must decide what they want out of their hunting. Good hunting skills are not developed on the 10 minute hunts.
smile.gif

Have fun and be safe

This will be my third year turkey hunting. I have not taked an actual tom, but I did shoot a jake last may! I've called in many hens, a few jakes, and those 2 toms I passed up my first year. I've called in a tom for my father though last april! I may not be a veteran turkey hunter, but I've learned ALOT in just 2 seasons!!!!!

Good luck this spring!!!!!

I have been shooting hevi-shot for two seasons now. The first season I shot 4 turkeys between 20-30 yds. Last season was a little tougher. I just couldn't get birds close. AS a result I shot birds at 52, 45, 42 and 65 yds. I thought the 65 yd bird was at about 55. Allbirds were dead. The 65 yd bird got hit by at least 3 pellets in the head and neck with his neck broke in two spots. Hevi-shot is a whole different game. With the right gun setup it is incredible. You have to find the right choke though. Iknow some guys who actually use IC with it. I use XFull with my Turkey BPS.

Jon

EVERY GUN-CHOKE-AMMO COMBO IS DIFFERENT. RIGHT NOW MY SUPER X2,TOPPED WITH A 2-7 NIKON SCOPE, PATTERN MASTER CHOKE TUBE AND 3 INCH #5 HEVI SHOT IS LEATHAL OUT TO ABOUT 65 YARDS. CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THIS IS AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE-ITS JUST THE MOST LEATHAL COMBO I HAVE SEEN IN A 12 GAUGE. A RANGE FINDER ACCOMPANIES ME ON EVERY HUNT AND GETS USED VERY OFTEN.
SAME GUN, CHOKE AND AMMO LIMITED ME OUT ON CANADIANS LAST FALL AT A MEASURED 72 YARDS-BOTH CRUMPLED IN ONE SHOT.
BELIEVE ME, BUY HEVI-SHOT,YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF AND THE GAME YOU PERSUIT.

ALL RIGHT WHOS THE JOKER, AND WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 190 INCH DEER BY MY M350 NAME. AND BY THE WAY FROM THE LOOKS OF THINGS THAT BLIND IS ABOUT A XXXXXXXXXL
AND DOESNT HAVE THE LOGO ON IT. GOT ME.
grin.gif
HAD A GREAT TIME MEETING ALL, JUST WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO SOCIALIZE, COULDNT SEEM TO GET THE MONKEY( BLIND) OFF MY BACK LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE A SERIUOS CONVERSATION WITH MOST OF YOU. I THINK THE JOKES ON YOU---I WASNT WEARING ANY PANTS AND HAD TO WEAR THE BLIND AROUND FOR YOUR SAFETY...
wink.gif

Top Bottom