Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

50 years ago..

strutnrut

In our local paper today they have a section that tells things about the past from 1 year to 100 years. In the 50 year ago section it said that a local farmer seen 6 deer in one of his fields. I think it was the first deer sighting in Davis county.. The Whitetail has came a long ways in just a few years..

[ QUOTE ]
In our local paper today they have a section that tells things about the past from 1 year to 100 years. In the 50 year ago section it said that a local farmer seen 6 deer in one of his fields. I think it was the first deer sighting in Davis county.. The Whitetail has came a long ways in just a few years..

[/ QUOTE ]
Boy that makes me feel old...cause I was just a kid not much less then 50 years ago and I remember we saw a deer and it was the first one we had ever seen!
Wonder what another 50 years will bring?

[ QUOTE ]
Wonder what another 50 years will bring?

[/ QUOTE ]
NR landowners getting tons of tags, leased farms everywhere, no room for residents to hunt again and piss poor quality of bucks like MI and PA
grin.gif

Sorry, I had to write that with all the talk of it lately

I remember my grandpa telling me that the first deer he ever layed eyes upon was in 1956. He was out tending to his cattle in Monroe County when a big doe spooked out of the brush. He could barely believe his eyes.

I remember the first deer I ever saw. It would have been 1961 or 62 as I was discing a field. Some thing was standing on the edge of the timber and I finally figured out it was a doe. The only reason I even knew that was from reading Out Door Life for a long time. Funny thing is that now the deer have almost reached vermin or pest status with a lot of Iowans. Maybe some of our kids or grand children 50 years from now will be able to say " I remember the first bobcat I ever saw in Iowa". I feel very lucky to have seen the deer and turkeys both repopulate the state and now the bobcats and maybe even cougars or bears, and unlucky to see the demise of our quail. It will be interesting to see what future generations can do with it all.

In the 60s, the sight of a deer was a rare and wonderful thing. I actually saw more bobcats (they have always been here in certain areas) and rattlesnakes than deer (Western Illinois). Also rare were pheasants and turkeys were non existant. But you are right I heard quail every day and saw them most. My early hunting was mostly rabbits, quail, squirrels and of course raccoons (they were worth real money then).

I was told of stories about my Grandpa working on the railroad, he saw some deer tracks, and it was such a big deal that he took his family down the railroad tracks just to show them the deer tracks.

I found Whitetail: Treasure, Trophy or Trouble to be a good read. I liked it so much I loaned it to a friend. They must have liked it to, as I didn't get it back.
frown.gif

I think it states that the first modern day season was in 1955 or 1956. I remember because Dad graduated high school in 1956. He maybe tried deer hunting once, I'm not sure. He did have a box of slugs in the closet (they were sold 25 to the box). I know he never had any interest in deer when I started hunting.

He had been a big pheasant hunter and would talk about how "in the good old days" he would limit out within the first hundred yards of walking a fence line. When I started pheasant hunting, he constantly grumbled about having to walk so much.

It seems hunting deer and turkeys will rule the near future.

[ QUOTE ]
I found Whitetail: Treasure, Trophy or Trouble to be a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is a good read. Larry Stone did and excellent job with his book.

What I found interesting was that even when there were very few deer in Iowa, the insurance industry was lobbying to get rid of them back in the 1950's.

Top Bottom