Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

7 1/2 years of same buck

Shovelbuck

Here's a series of photos in order from a buck that a local zoo had quite a few years ago. Who'd of guessed after that 1 1/2 year old set of antlers he would turn out like he did. Even little forkies can turn out big.
fb8623a0.jpg
fb86239f.jpg
fb86239c.jpg
fb86239a.jpg
fb862398.jpg
fb862396.jpg
fb862392.jpg

That is a great set of photos to show the potential of a little age and decent nutrition.... Thanks for sharing.

I am going to show these photos to all my neighbors that shoot year and a half old bucks that are 4,5,6, or 7 points and say they shot it because it would have never been big anyway because of bad genetics! I will show them and hopefully we can save some young bucks shotgun season!!

I recently read an article about the "inferior buck" theory. They said just what your photos show. A buck with even a spike set for his first rack has every bit the same potential for a large rack as one with more points. They said in their studies that a young bucks first rack is based on his birth weight and if it was born later in the spring than most. By age 3 according to the article, these bucks caught up to other bucks their age and by age 5 in many cases even surpassed the others. I can't find the article now, of course, to tell where to read it, but I was sold on their findings. I'm not buying into the old "bad genetics" story to justify filling a buck tag anymore.

Good subject Shovelbuck!
waytogo.gif

Thanks for sharing we need more stories and age progression to prove what a jump a 1 1/2 makes in 1 year. Did any of you read the story in bowhunter or Petersons bowhunter I cant remember it was an age progression on a buck his first year he was a three to four inch spike at two and a half he was a pope and young and by three he was a monster. Even though these articles are pen raised deer I still think it hold true for wild deer. The 1 1/2 in your picture is about 40-50" in just one year he is close to pope and young, and after 2 1/2 bucks will generally grow 20" a year. I hunt on public land here in Maryland and I always let the little ones walk. If I go by the attitude that if I don’t shoot it someone else will the deer will be dead, by letting him walk at least he has a chance, who know there might be a 12 year old kid 100 yard down from me that could get a shot on that 1 1/2 year old buck, that buck would mean so much more to him than it would me. So Let em Grow.
wink.gif

Top Bottom