Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

8/4/2011 scouting trip paid off

Once again a fellow hunting budy and i hit the woods this evening to see what kinda sign was in our hunting area, and what a suprise we got. After walking to the edge of the bean field there was a doe and a spike standing on the other side. Well we decide to climb in a near by tree to see what else we could see come out. We was sittin on the edge of a bean field that has a river on one side and a creek approx. 30 ft wide on another side that made a L shape on 2 sides of the bean field. After sitting still and quiet for a hour or so i hear something coming down the creek bank in the thick to our left and behind us, i then heard it come to the edge of the field. Then caught movement. Although i couldn't tell what it was i jus knew it was a deer. My buddy said it's a small 3 pointer, while he was saying that i whisper GOOD buck!!! he still couldn't see the buck i was looking at, he thought i was saying that about the 3 point. Well the deer fed out in the field a little more and he finally saw the big one. After studying the 2 other bucks with my binoculars i saw that one was a 8 point basket rack. He was super tall and had great mass but wasn't prolly 14 inches wide. Then i moved to the next deer and WOW! a typical 12 point. First 12 typical i've ever saw on hoove. I sat in awl watchin this deer through my binoculars as he fed at 35 yards with not a worry in the world. After the deer fed far enough away i told him we needed to climb down quietly and get out without being busted. I can honestly say thats the most tore up i've ever been over see'n a deer. I'm guessing between 140 and 150 on the big 12. This deer seems little to me when thinkin about iowa, but i'm here in western, ky were a 140 is a big deer. So many people here shoot small deer and never give them a chance to grow, I'm one of the most passoniate people u will ever meet about bow hunting. It's my most favored hobby that i have, I will bow hunt every single chance i get during season. But due to poor ethics, poaching, and spotlighting in this area it's almost impossible to kill a deer of this class in my area. So when you find a deer like this around here you better keep your mouth shut and not let a single person know about it or opening day it'll look like your in walmart with all the hunters in the area. they don't care if it's private or not. Game wardens around here do a piss poor job about getting stuff done to poachers. You cant find any private land to hunt cause all these people have messed it up for everybody, unless you want to shell out 10 to 20 grand for a lease. You will not find a person that loves bow hunting as much as i do, Honestly. Next year i'm goin to start puttin in, in hopes of soon to get drawn for my Iowa NR tag. So i can have a chance atleast to hunt areas were big deer sightings are more common then my area. I know were i'll be sept 3rd for sure though, and hopefully i'll be posting pictures on here for all of you all to see. I can honestly say people on this site are by far more friendly than anybody on the Ky hunting forums. If a NR ask for help on public land on the ky forums people would give you the run arounds about were to hunt. BUt not me, If someone wants help about hunting in western ky i'm more than glad to lend a hand. Although i don't have alot of private land to hunt i do not care one bit to take someone hunting in my spots as long as they respect the land and my rules. and the only rules i have is do not throw trash out on the property, and dont shoot a buck unless he's mature. I've had a couple people on this site to message me and say if i get drawn they would let me hunt their farms and/or show me some good public land. I'd like to thank all of you'll that has been nice and helpful on this site. Thanks again fellow hunters, and hopefully the first week of september i'll have pictures of the 12 for yaw to enjoy and comment on. Be safe in the woods fellow hunting buddies, and i hope to see pictures of the big deer yaw harvest. When is yaw's bow opener?

We'aws season starts october 1st ;) good luck! I had to give you some crap about the yaw, half of my family is from florida.. but its 'ya'll' down there

yea i get alot of crap about the way i talk and some of the words i use i wouldn't know were to begin on trying to spell some of em lol. Thanks guys good luck to YAW as well lol

Top Bottom