Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A day in the woods with teeroy and TRX

Bingo529

WEll let me start by saying that this was our first turkey hunt together this morning and boy was it exciting(or should I use the term funny?)..Anyways,after deciding where to sit we walked in,Teeroy with his gun,me with my trusty bow that NEVER fails me(or so I thought).WE walked back to the corner of a timber where we were going to set up and low and behold there were horses on the other side of the fence!We thought for sure our morning was done,but teeroy being the wise old turkey hunter he is pulled out his owl hoot and gave a call just to see what happened.WHOO-WHOO-WHO-WHOOOOO,he blew,and just like that,Gobblers started teeing off RIGHT BEHIND US!!We hurried and made the decision to set up,me on the edge of the timber in a hay field with a blind(which I will discuss later)and teeroy on the inside of the timber with his NEF single shot 12 gauge.Yes you heard me right,single shot.So I pop the Ameristep outhouse(which I have since changed the name to _ _ _ _house)and climbed in.After we finally here the birds fly off the roosts,teeroy hits a couple calls and we wait.Nothing.I am packed in this piece of crap of a blind and can't see squat,teeroy is somewhere in the timber being the quaker boy caller.A little time goes by and a few more calls then I glance out of the window and see movement,TURKEYS!!!Here they come,right towards,teeroy???Well,I hear no shot,so I am thinking,hmmmmm.So they come on out to the hay field.....30 yards!!!3 Toms and a jake!!!!I grab my bow go to draw back and,what the !@#$!!!!Blind is too SMALL!!!!I can't even draw my bow without hitting the back of the blind.So I unzip the back window,brilliant idea huh?Lean back and draw,but front of bow is now hitting front of blind.I can't take it anymore,I lean down put a pin on the biggest tom and squeeze release.What happens?Bow slaps front of blind and arrow flys in the strangest way right between them,doin barrel rolls all the way...What happens next amazes me,they just stand there with that confused "muddy" look in their eyes,not knowing what that foreign object that just about hit them in the feet was.SO here I am,grabbing another arrow.I knock it,then proceed to have the same trouble drawing it back again,because,well,frankly,the freakin blind has not gotten any bigger since the first shot.So I try to adjust but they are at about 40-45 yards now and slowly moving away.Here goes another arrow.....same results.Foot short and barrell roll.So now I am more frustrated than a legless ethiopian watchin a doughnut roll down a hill.And they just stand there,getting a little more nervous,but not leaving.Last arrow.Knock it,draw back(same trouble),adjust from last arrow,release...This one skipped instead of barrell rolling,50 yards past them.I look towards the timber and see teeroy,so I lean out back of blind so turkeys can't see me and I am trying to sign language him to belly crawl out and try to get a shot because the turkeys were still in gun range at that time.So he makes his way out and keeping a Kat like profile,tries to stalk as close as he can.Then he stands up and KA-BOOOOM!!!Turkeys go running.I'm yellin,"shoot again,shoot again."Remember it's a single shot,after getting another shell in he runs up further and tries to pick one out as they are running away at a distance that would have been a good clip for a rifle...KA-BOOOOM!!!!Come to find out the turkeys walked right by teeroy but he had his gun on his lap and was afraid to move and scare them(he says he was just being a nice guy and letting them come to me so I could try to bag one with my bow.) Needless to say,3 arrows and 2 shells later we had no turkey but what a blast!!!Will report tomorrow on our second installment of, A Day In The Woods With Teeroy And TRX..........

well since it was trx's spot, i thought i would be nice and let them go past me towards him. plus, since i had forgotten my gloves, i was pretty sure they would spot me trying to raise the gun as they passed at 10-15 feet...yup, FEET, not yards.
i kept calling, trying to get them to swing back towards the blind, and i hear, "toonk"......'thhhhhhhhiip". i look at the blind and i don't see anybody running for a bird, and i don't hear a flopping bird, so i hit a couple more calls, and wait. "toonk"........"thhhhhhiipp". still no movement. then another, finally i can't take it and start to move. i should have stayed in the timber and swung around ahead of them, but instead i let trx talk me into taking a 60 yard shot, then an 80 yard shot. i'm sure those birds won't be able to grip the limb on the roost when they rehash the days events
different story sunday, got the gloves, dekes, diferent gun. all ready to rock. just need some more birds

All 5 shots shouldnt have been taken but I know how much revendge Teeroy has with turkeys.. TRX you should of only drawn your bow back 1/2 way... Great story guys, cant wait to hear about tomorrows hunt... Good luck

Good lord, you two out in the woods together with weapons? This is how Hollywood gets their ideas for horror films. Good luck in the morning fells, don't shoot yourselves.

30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif

darn good thing i ain't in your hunting party! trx what type of ameristep blind do you have? i myself have the triangular shaped one and i never have any trouble getting my bow back!

TRX don't let Tee-roy pull that nice guy thing, he probably fell asleep or was taking a leak and didn't see the birds coming in. Nice guy ha ha ha. Wooo that was a good one tee-roy.
evil.gif
evil.gif

wow, gives new meaning to the old phrase...

"if at first you don't succeed grab another arrow"

and another...

and another...

then shoot...

and shoot again...

good story though, livened up my otherwise dull life.

You guys be careful out there we can't afford to loose any members
crazy.gif
. TRX sounds like you need to lend Teeroy one of those fine trap guns of yours
smirk.gif
. Good story and good luck.

Unfortunately day 2 was a bust.Just didn't pick the right spot with that wind we had Sunday and got blanked....Final chapter will conclude 4th season...At a forum near you
smirk.gif

Top Bottom