Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A Fun Week, But Frustrating

Liv4Rut

Well guys I had a great thanksgiving break away from school, and countless hours in the field, and many close and exciting encounters.
smile.gif
here goes the week.

Starting monday afternoon, on the long drive home, I decided I was gonna hunt a area I knew very well. The only problem was, that I needed to shoot a doe before a buck, and I knew that may be tough, and may ruin my chances at a buck before I got a doe. That night i sat in my dads stand and had a 150-160 class 8 pointer step out accrossed the field, I was freaking out, I wanted him bad but no doe. The does came out but never offered me a shot
frown.gif

Tuesday morning, I had a solid 140 class 8 pointer mill around me for almost 10 minutes, after he left another great buck entered the field grunting and making rubs. I would of loved to harvest either one but still no doe. Monday evening, I hung a stand in a pine tree, and sure enough 3 bucks and 3 does came in, This time though I finally got a big ole doe. A small buck chased her into my shooting lane and the rest is history. FINALLY, I get to buck hunt.

Wednesday morning was an absolute blizzard, I managed to see 2 does and rattle in two dinks. Wednesday night looked promising, it was cold and clear, I hung my stand in another field, predicting the deer to come from the north. About a half hour before dark a button buck, small 8 pointer and a 150 class 10 pointer came out directly downwind of me only 40 yards away but I had no shot. The bucks milled around for about 5 minutes then 5 does walked out and came all around me, as the big buck started to come my way, the biggest doe finally had me pegged and took him away with her.

Thanksgiving morning, I hunted a new stand. I had 8 does come right down the pipe in front of me with a 145-150 class 11 pointer he came into 35 yards and was only a few steps away from a muzzy moment, when he turned around with his nose to the ground and walked away, I tried to grunt but my call was frozen so all I could do was watch.
frown.gif
about 45 minutes later, I had an absolute giant come into about 80 yards but he wanted nothing to do with me. Thanksgiving night, i didnt see one deer.

Friday morning, I had 12 does and one small 8 point come in, at 9:30 a big doe gave me a shot I couldn't refuse, and doe number 2 was down
smile.gif
Friday night, I spotted another doe out milling around one of my treestands on the way in, I decided to try a stalk on her, For some odd reason it actually worked, I stalked to within 20 yards of her, and pulled back and hit her perfect, doe number 3 was down. That night i had a 2 small bucks come in, but i elected to pass.

Saturday morning, an absolute windstorm, at 9 oclock, I had 5 does and 3 bucks come in, the biggest was a 135 inch 7 point, i elected to pass on him, saturday night I saw 2 small bucks in a different area, and sunday I decided to sleep in so I could drive home without falling asleep because I was like a zombie.
blush.gif
The only picture I took is, the second doe I shot and its not the best but I will post anways, The blaze orange is mandatory in the area I hunt, and I dont know why i didnt put on full camo and take off the vest for the picture
confused.gif
grin.gif
All in All I had a great relaxing break away from school, and enjoyed every minute of it out in the woods. I even tried to do my part by shooting 3 does which is just as exciting and exhilarting as harvesting a buck to me
cool.gif

1005doe-med.JPG

I forgot to mention, I did find a good set of rattling antlers
smile.gif
this picture does this rack no justice, it's alot bigger than it looks
cool.gif

1005skull-med.JPG

Gald you had time away from school and in the stand. Sounds like you made the best of your time and enjoyed yourself.
grin.gif

It's refreshing to hear someone shooting does and excited about just enjoying the days afield. Although it is always nice to shoot a "wall hanger", it's ALL about the hunt!

Congrats and great job Liv!

Way to go with the three does! Sometimes it just doesn't work out with the bucks. If you don't use the antlers you found for rattling it's still a nice european mount.

Congrats, Liv. Sounds like you put in a million hours this fall. At least with all those does, you won't starve.

Sounds like a great hunt Liv.....I wish I could have a week like that one here. Awesome job on the doe harvests

Thats a great week in anybodys standerds. Stinks that no buck went down , but hell, your still out there hunting hard. You'll get your crack.

A stalk... for some reason it worked? Of course it worked. Talk about piling up the does. Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats.

way to go liv. those back straps should be a nice change from the cafateria at ISU. I hear you can dish up a nice backstrap burger on a george forman.......
busted.gif

Sound's like your weekend ended up pretty good.Just think,another 2 month's and we will all be wishing it was now again
Anyway thank's for sharing the picture's Liv.

waytogo.gif

Boys, what LIV forgot to mention was that I saw those antlers first and they are now my rattlin horns! And the picture does not do any justice

Great Job Liv4Rut!!! I have been trying to get a shot at a doe all year, and can't seem to do it.

Nice doe, But I still can't believe you let Freddy beat ya.
smile.gif
There's always next season, however now you have to watch out for me too.

Top Bottom