Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

A stupid thing to do

Shovelbuck

Since this story is game camera related I thought I'd post it here.
I have been setting a game camera on a stake next to a slew that runs through the family's property and getting some great photos. The down side to this is that it's only about 6 inches off the water.
When I got home from work last night we were having severe weather with tornado warnings. I was concerned about rising water where the camera is and decided to go grab it. Big mistake!
I should of just went back home, since the tornado sirens were going off as I was putting gas in the truck. But no, I headed west right into the storm.

552headin_west-med.JPG

Those of you from the midwest know what these low clouds mean, Tornado! I drove right into this mess. I turned around once but by then it looked worse that direction. I kept going allthough everyone else was pulled off the side of the road. Damn, the wind was sure blowing me around. Then the hard rain started, next came the hail. Golfball size on down. It covered the ground like snow. The gravel roads were so muddy I didn't dare stop of turn around. I drove past where the camera is by half a mile, made it to a highway and headed home. Allmost the entire 25 miles in nasty wind, hail, and rain. As I reached the north side of town a looked to the east and watched a tornado for awhile. Needless to say, my wife and daughter were less than impressed with my being gone.
I was very glad to make it home in one peice.
I was extremely lucky and all I can say is....Seek shelter when a storm is approaching. Don't go out in it as I did. It's not worth it.

I wasn't aware you had taken on a new job Shovel?
confused.gif

Shovelbuck the storm chaser! Ha
grin.gif

Glad you made it home safely!

Awesome photo, Shovel. Man, my dream is to go on a tornado chase on one of those big 'Twister' days. I know tornadoes are a bad thing, but they absolutely fascinate me. Glad you're alright.

I met a couple storm chaser vehicles that night on the highway. They were headed the other way. That should of told me something.
grin.gif

Shovelbuck,

YOU A BRAVE MAN!!!!

I haven't seen a twister in person and I don't want to be within 5 miles of one, but it would be neat to see one at a distance with some good binoculars!
cool.gif

Hey i had a tornado about 300 yards away from the house. Wish i would have had my camera. Would have had a great shot of it. But my mom got it on video. The story: i was out swiming when my aunt said we had to leave because she didnt like the way the clouds looked. The lake is sorounded by trees so we only say the front of the cloud. But once we hit the road i looked to my right and i seen 2 tornados. One dissapeared about 1 min after we got on the road. Going 110 in a 65 gets you home faster
grin.gif
Went into the cellar and waited for about 5 minutes. Didnt hear anything so i opend the door and the tornado was just starting to go back up. The tornado is perminant in my mind. Remembered like it was yesterday. Man i wish i would have had my camera. And we also had a tornado a week earlie start to form. The clouds started to swirl but it didnt come down. Would have taken the house with it if it did. Well just thought i would throw my 2 cents in. Everyone had a great day.

Top Bottom