Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns and Berries

J

jason

What are some acorns deer like, and dislike? What oak trees do they come from? And what are other berries and nuts deer like to eat?
When are good times to hunt by acorns?
Thanks and good hunting!

My uncle was a forester, he taught me and also has taught my son the best way to identify oak trees is to remember:
Whiteman shot bullets, and bullets are rounded like the leaf from a white oak tree.
Redman (indians) shot arrows that have points on their tips like the red oak leaf.
Deer like to eat red and white acorns, but I have been told red oak acorns have a bitter taste. So deer prefer white oak acorns.
BOWDUDE

BOWDUDE
I really liked your little ditties about the Whiteman and the Indian. I am going to memorize them for to impress my Grandkids with, seriously. Reading what you wrote reminded me of a couple so called Indian sayings that I heard many years ago.
About stalking:"walk little-look much". About camping:"Injun makeum little fire-sittum close-Whiteman makeum big fire-sittum wayyyyy back".
And yes, I believe you are correct about deer preferring white oak acorns.
Don

I've noticed a lot of acorns falling on our archery range. Might be a good weekend to take a walk in the woods and find an early season ambush spot?

Thanks for the tip I've never been able to remember the difference between red and white oaks. A friend finally copied a page out of a book for me that I've carried in my daily planner for years.

Acorns are king when hunting deer in the south. Most areas I hunted in Kentucky and North Carolina had limited corn/soybeans in the area. White oak acorns are definitely preferred over red oak acorns. Even within white oaks, there are some species which produce larger and perhaps tastier acorns (like the chestnut white oak). Oak trees dropping acorns, especially white oaks, are a good place to ambush one on their way to and from the crop fields. When acorns first drop in early fall they may be bright green. After a few days, or acorns that fall later in October, they will have turned brown in color. Deer prefer to eat them after they turn brown in color. One other tip...not all trees will start dropping at the same time. Find the first white oak that is dropping heavy in an area where the deer travel and feel secure and it will really concentrate the deer until other trees start dropping.

I have heard that white oaks will have acorns every year and that reds drop every other year. I'm am not sure this is correct. This year I have found many white oaks in my area with no acorns at all. Also the smaller oaks(15ft and below) had nothing. Is there a reason for this? Is it a weather thing or do I have it backwards and the white oaks drop every other year?? If anyone can give me a clue I'd appreciate it.

This acorn thing can drive a guy nuts!!
tongue.gif

Hey guys,lets not forget locust beans!!!one of my honeyholes spots has a decline in acorns for some reason,but the deer come and eat the heck out of the locust beans.And man it sure make alot of noise when they are eatin em. Two years ago I bagged a 10 and last year a 8 point there..

Sorry i can't help with your dilema, Vike, but I have to agree with what everyone is saying about white oaks. The deer love them.
Also, if you find a good patch of persimmons, they should be a deer magnet when they ripen. Even the big boys have a sweet tooth.

Put up a stand in an oak flat funnel on Saturday and the acorns are dropping like mad. Wish I could hunt'em now, because the first dropped acorns always seem to be a preferred food source. Good Hunting!

Vike - The reason you don't see any acorns on those small trees is because oaks have to be about 25 years old before they produce acorns. Red oak acorns have more tanic acid in them, which makes them bitter, but also keeps them from rotting in the mud and snow. I've found that deer in southern Iowa go for the bur oak acorns first then the white oaks, then eat the red oak acorns in late winter when there's nothing else around. When the bur oak acorns are falling in early season I've seen deer flock to them while ignoring fields of corn all around.

This a little different, but I'll throw it in anyway. I don't know if y'all have mistletoe in your trees in Iowa-I don't remember seeing any last Fall, but deer love it. And before anyone says it, since deer can't climb trees, you have to retrieve it for them. I have thrown some stalks of mistletoe on the ground around my stand here in Texas and stopped deer for bowshots several times. Be sure to wash your hands as the berries of mistletoe are toxic to humans.
Don

Leave it to you for a question like that, BW. Depends how long I've been in the woods! Since you've met my hunting buddy, you know it would be have to be a loooonng time. Ha.
Don

Greywolf- thanks for the answer on the small oaks not producing. You wouldn't happen to know if the every other year thing is true or not would you?

thanks

Aim small, miss small.

Some types of Oaks only produce acorns evrey other seasosn. I did a search on white oaks last year and do remeber that the acorns are buds one year and become acorns the next and I think it was red oaks that do that. I'm also pretty sure that white oaks shed every year. It was some pretty good info with good discriptions of how to tell red/white/black/bur etc appart. I just don't have the time do dig that much right now, but that info is all out there.

The 'Bonker

Some types of Oaks only produce acorns evrey other seasosn. I did a search on white oaks last year and do remeber that the acorns are buds one year and become acorns the next and I think it was red oaks that do that. I'm also pretty sure that white oaks shed every year. It was some pretty good info with good discriptions of how to tell red/white/black/bur etc appart. I just don't have the time do dig that much right now, but that info is all out there.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom