Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns sources

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
I've briefly searched Paul's 'Acorn to Oak' thread - I'll read it more closely in the next couple days.

But I think we're going to change our method of planting trees on the farm. No more buying bareroot seedlings... we're going to purely sprouting/growing acorns using the Rootmaker growing system.

My question is, where can a guy get acorns right now that are ready to sprout and grow over this summer? I'm afraid I'm too late to get in on some this year but I'm not positive and wanted to check with you guys first.

Thanks!

Did you try Oikos?
I would do a search for chestnuts as well. I ordered mine from Route 9 cooperative but looks like they sold out. My chestnuts have actually been more successful than my acorns in rootmakers. I'll continue to do both but I am liking the chestnuts better at this point.
I'd do some google searches and hopefully letemgrow & others chime in to help you.

Just got some white oak acorns in from Mike Hamilton at Timber Management. 319-573-0615. I planted them earlier this week in the rootmaker trays under fluorescent lights. I hope they come out alright. Anybody else start them out with that setup?

Thanks fellas! I tried calling Mike and left him a message, he's a great guy to deal with.

I looks at the Oikos website but had a hard time finding where I could buy just acorns...

I did get on the Sheffield Seed Company's website and talked to one of their employees on the phone and they sound like a solid resource for a wide variety of acorns.

I've just got the itch to get a couple hundred this spring and get going on this. Then going forward I plan on collecting our own or maybe purchasing some hybrids. I've got the planting itch already. :D

Thanks to a friend on here we've got about 100 Gobbler Sawtooth acorns heading our way and I ordered about 75 Chinquapin Oak acorns from Sheffields. We'll get a trial run of growing oaks using the rootmakers yet this year!

Top Bottom