Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Adjustable Sight vs Fixed Pins

P

paktermite

I switched to an adjustable HHA sight this past winter, always shot fixed pins up until that point. Having mixed feelings about hunting with the adjustable. It's worked wonderful at 3d shoots and the target range, but I wonder about how well it will work for me in a hunting situation. I love the idea of one focus point, but having all your pins locked in at 20, 30, 40, and 50 always seemed to be ok for me too... anybody out there that can share experiences with the adjustable sight, either good or bad???

I like having an adjustable sight. I keep it at 20 yards, and the way I look at it is that I can easily compensate for a 30 yard shot. If I'm taking any shot beyond 30 yards, it's going to be a situation where I will need to know yardage and have time to adjust my sight (calm animal) anyway. I've been using mine for two seasons now and have killed 6 or 7 deer with mine. Only had to adjust my sight once for a 28 yard shot. The rest of the shots were within my 20 yard pin range. Keep it simple, I don't want to have to think about what pin to use!

I agree with Lone Wolf. I made the jump last year and have no regrets. I set mine at 25 yards and am good out to 30 yards with that one setting.

Thanks for the reassurance... that is what I was thinking... no need to move on a shot less than 30 yards... only a few inches low at thirty anyway using the 20 yard setting... and as you said, anything beyond that you should have time to adjust because the animal had better be relaxed and calm in order to close that distance... I really like the one focus point... I hunted turkeys with it this Spring and shot two birds with no problems whatsover... and they move around much quicker and less predictable than deer!!!

I actually think I'm a better shot using a single pin compared to multiple pins too! Something in my brain eh! he he he..

I think an adjustable sight would be good if I would of started using one from the beginning. Right now it is such an instinct to use different pins, that I know if I had a 180+ inch deer at 30,35, or 40 yards, and my sight is set at 20 yards, I would freak out!! Most likely forgetting that my pin was only good for 20 yards. I switched my sights once to a pendulum sight, that I thought would be awesome, which it was for under 30 yard shots, but it cost me a booner standing at about 42 yards, so I yanked it off. In that exact situation, I saw him down in the creek and when he came up the ridge, I couldn't see him so I had no clue where he would pop up at, I saw him about 2 seconds before he hit the only clearing to shoot through that I knew was 40 yards and drew back and held it on him, but I've shot with that pendulum sight before at farther distances than 30 yards and it wasn't very predictable on where it would hit, so I let down, and didn't want to gimp him. If I would of had my old sight with a 40 yard pin, he would be dead. So I wonder in situations like that, where you got about 2 seconds to judge distance, and move your pin, or not move your pin and remember to aim high on a B&C deer how confident would you be in fast paced action. Under 30 yards and less probably isn't a problem but what about farther? It seems like most deer I've shot with my bow it happens so fast, it's hard to believe what just happened. I'm sure you guys have used those sights enough to control yourself, but I know a few guys that use them and they seem to gimp ALOT of deer, because they shot too low or to high, because as the say, "I had my dang pin set at the wrong yardage!!"
grin.gif

I shoot a single vertical pin adjustable site. It is set at 25 yards and I haven't moved it since it was put on.

It's all a matter of what your used to and being aware of your confidence/ability level at different yardages.

I'm by no means a great 3-d shooter and 40 yards on a live deer would be really pushing it unless the situation was just perfect.

In that case, I am usually not drawing my bow, and walking back to the house wishing he had come closer.

Some would feel super confident in a 40 yard shot and could make the shot most of the time. Then again, a buck isn't a foam target either.
grin.gif

practice on foam deer from 40-60 yards, make for a hell of alot of confidence. i popped a yearling doe at a range i would have NEVER considered, before i started shooting 3d.

i'll stick with my 5 pin sites...until i think i need a couple more pins
grin.gif

I know for a fact that I shoot better and more consistant with the single adjustable than with the 5 fixed pins... in addition to that, I have the "fun factor" with being able to dial it out to 100 yards and shooting a nice group... it is amazing to see what these bows are capable of. It's great shooting at 70, 80, 90, and 100 yards... once you step up to 20 and 30 yards it feels SOOOO much more comfortable... granted we are shooting at just foam... but I can't speak enough about what it does for your confidence... if you are able to consistantly hit the 10 ring on a Rhinehart buck target at 100 yards... the ten ring looks like a trash can lid at 20 yards!!!
smile.gif

Right now my pin covers a 6" spot at 50 yards. I'm not that good, and deer react too quickly. I would probably take a 40 yarder if conditions were perfect....

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying... I would never shoot that far at a whitetail... the furthest I have ever taken one is a tick over 40 yards, and the shot scenerio was perfect. I was just saying that it is FUN to shoot that far and see how well you can do. The .019 pin covers most of the target at 100 yards, but if you can hold in the same spot each time and get a good release, you will be amazed at what your bow can do! And it's a great time to shoot with a buddy or two and let the games begin!
grin.gif

No I hear you Pak. I shoot at long distances to help my concentration more than anything. The only way to get better, is to challenge yourself. Plus, it's just fun!

I still find it amazing how many guys miss really close shots. I practice alot of those 5 yard type shots just to know exactly where I need to aim versus where my arrow hits! Picking leaves from an elevated platform can be very good training under those "crunched form" conditions.

Exactly! I hear you there. In our winter 3D Indoor league this past winter, we had a shot one week that was 4 yards at a turkey facing straight on... 4 yard shot! You would be AMAZED at how many guys missed the vitals on that bird. They couldn't grasp the concept that holding your twenty pin low wasn't the way to do it! Most guys that figured it out had to hold their 40-50 yard pins/setting to hit the 12 ring at 4 yards!!!
confused.gif

Top Bottom