Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Adjusting sights

Fulldrw

After reading a post on tuning your bow properly and having your broadheads impact where your field points impact i was wondering if many people just move their sights when they don't impact in the same spot? I have done that too when my broadheads that i used to shoot didn't group in the same place as my field points but it just bothered me that when i practiced on my 3d target that i wasn't hitting where my sight was aimed at with my field points. Anybody feel the same way or am i just a little picky?

Fulldrw,

No, I'm the same way. I had a hard time practicing with field points then having to move the sights about 6 weeks prior to the season to shoot my broadheads. To me I felt I was wasting my time shooting my field tips for the majority of the year. That said some fixed blade companies, G5 and Slick Trick, have produced broadheads that come darn close to impacting with field tips.

You can also move your arrow rest a very small amount (no more than 1/16" at a time). Move it opposite of how you would move your sight. Away from the arrow. I had to do that with my new bow, then I shot through paper to make sure everything was still good.

I adjust my sights as needed. Its kind of like a BB gun. The neighbor kid couldnt hit a moose at 2 yards with yours, but he knows that his shoots 7 feet left and 14 feet low at 50 yards so he is deadly with his gun. Hell, an $800 rifle will rarely shoot 2 different kinds of bullets into the same place if they are different types, even if they are the same weight. Why would a bow?
As long as they group well (wherever that may be) just adjust the sights. I dont think you are wasting your time before by shooting field tips because your still practicing your shooting form. Then again I suck at tuning a bow, thank God for adjustable sights. As I said on another post, dumb luck has my bow shooting broadheads and field points in the same place this year. I have lost alot of hair and patience other years trying to bring them together.

Full,

This past Spring I bit the bullet and shot broadheads most of the year. It did tear up my target a lot quicker, but my confidence was better. That doesn't help the 3D shooter with tips, but like I said some companies are coming close with their style of broadhead construction.

I work two jobs all week, so I don't have time to dink around getting BH to hit with fieldpoints.So I move the sight.This year as a added bonus the windage bar on my Trophy Ridge snapped completly in half for no apparent reason.So I got to sight in Twice!! Once on the TR,and then again on the New Spot Hogg I Ordered. On the Hogg-it I started right off with broadheads, I will worry about field points in 3 or 4 months!By the by, the TR broke last weekend so I didn't care to wait to see what TR would do!

I've always just moved the sights, sincing purchasing my Q2 several years ago, I haven't had to worry about it much. One thing I did notice though is for me three blade muzzy's shot more consistently than the four blades. (100gr.)

Top Bottom