Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Advice on trail cams

Big Timber

I'm looking to buy a trail cam and I was wondering what kind/make/model you guys would suggest. Price is an issue so nothing too expensive. Just something that takes decent pictures (visable) and is reliable. Or is it easier to make one? Thanks for the info.

BT

Big Timber-
I made a game camera. I knew nothing about electronics but decided to try it. I'm happy to report that the camera is working beautifully. It took a little time to get familarized with what the different components were, but if I can do it, anyone can.

If you have any electrical experience at all, I'd encourage you to try building one yourself. The only thing I'd really done electrically is put in a few light switches and outlets, not exactly an electrician, but the experience did help a little bit to understand how the whole unit goes together.

That being said, I have a friend who has bought two of the Moultrie trail cameras. They work well and he bought his from Cabela's for around $125. I think I spent around $85 to build my first camera. That included buying soldering irons and other necessary tools to complete the project.

Now I'm planning on building one for my father-in-law for Christmas. Now that I have the basic tools it should cost around $65 to build his.

Big Timber-
I made a game camera. I knew nothing about electronics but decided to try it. I'm happy to report that the camera is working beautifully. It took a little time to get familarized with what the different components were, but if I can do it, anyone can.

If you have any electrical experience at all, I'd encourage you to try building one yourself. The only thing I'd really done electrically is put in a few light switches and outlets, not exactly an electrician, but the experience did help a little bit to understand how the whole unit goes together.

That being said, I have a friend who has bought two of the Moultrie trail cameras. They work well and he bought his from Cabela's for around $125. I think I spent around $85 to build my first camera. That included buying soldering irons and other necessary tools to complete the project.

Now I'm planning on building one for my father-in-law for Christmas. Now that I have the basic tools it should cost around $65 to build his.

O.B.B.,
I have lots of experience in the electronics field. I worked for a game company and all I did was solder all day. It sounds like building one is the way to go. Where did you get your schematics or design prints from? Thanks,

BT

I am usuing the Moultree Feeders camrea. They have them in Cabela's for around $130.
It doesnt work to bad,and takes decent pictures.The only thing I dont like, is it has a 15 second or 6 minute delay.
It also comes with a 6v rechargable batt. and charger.

i would recommed making your own. I have made both 35mm and digitals. They work great and it is fun building them.

Big Timber-
Looks like Two Beards has given you the link to Jessie's page concerning game cameras. There is a seperate page that deals with making your own camera, they call it a homebrew, here is the link. Homebrew home page That's where I found the information necessary to build mine.

When you get to Jessie's page you'll quickly realize that there are several variations on making a game camera (i.e. using different sensors and cameras). To me the website was confusing, so I had to spend some time deciphering which sensor and camera I was going to use. Here's what I settled on using and it is working really well:

Camera: Cannon Owl PF date camera. Bought at K-mart
Sensor: Mainstay WM2 (formerly Regent MS20). Bought at Walmart
Box: 6x4x4 outdoor electrical box. Bought at Lowe's

I also did the low power mod's for the sensor. I'd also highly recommend getting a desoldering iron. I didn't do this at first and wished I had, it really simplified the project.

If you've done that much soldering, you'll think this project is a breeze. Like I said, I'd never soldered anything and I was able to accomplish the task.

Thanks again for the info guys,
MUCH APPRECIATED

I got most of the project done but I have a question. I have the radio shack pir 49-426 which I assume is the upgrade/replacement for the 49-425? I'm starting to get an idea of the differences but I was curious if any of you camera gurus could help out? I'm having difficulties on where to wire the relay. Any information regarding this new sensor would help. Thanks Again,

BT

vman

what is your cost on making a digital one?? i am definately not a mechanical whiz and assume that with the digital one you can get a couple camera storage cards and switch them out and take them home and view them before paying $$ to have them developed?? just curious.

BT-
To find out how to wire the relay for the 49-426 go to the homebrew forum on Jessie's website. Once in there, do a search on 49-426. There has been much discussion about that sensor and if I remember right, somewhere in those threads is a link to a website that shows you how to wire it.

By the way, the regulars on that forum routinely answer questions about homebrew camera building. They really know there stuff. The only thing they ask is that you do a thorough search before submitting a question.

-OBB

Top Bottom