Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Affordable trees for bedding???

StucknAz

I was looking at a bundle of 25 eastern red cedar for under 100$. Anyone know of any plant and walk away trees that would assist with bedding as well as screening? I’m in SE Ohio, don’t know of any cedar close to me. My apples all are said to be CAR resistant? How much sun do cedars require to get going? I’m thinking a hillside that I plan to do light tsi on as well as border of small food plots.

Any other trees you could reccomend that don’t get destroyed by deer? Also where do you find them?

I was looking at a bundle of 25 eastern red cedar for under 100$. Anyone know of any plant and walk away trees that would assist with bedding as well as screening? I’m in SE Ohio, don’t know of any cedar close to me. My apples all are said to be CAR resistant? How much sun do cedars require to get going? I’m thinking a hillside that I plan to do light tsi on as well as border of small food plots.

Any other trees you could reccomend that don’t get destroyed by deer? Also where do you find them?
Ones no one else is gonna tell u ;)
Some of these will have some issues (some maybe rubbed but pry bounce back or die sooner, etc)…But overall …. Mulberry, Osage orange, thornless locust, sycamore, hybrid willow, hybrid poplar, box elder, ash, cottonwood, etc. I would add cedars 100%!!!
State dnr nurseries always best choice. Then wholesale nursery’s around country.

Ones no one else is gonna tell u ;)
Some of these will have some issues (some maybe rubbed but pry bounce back or die sooner, etc)…But overall …. Mulberry, Osage orange, thornless locust, sycamore, hybrid willow, hybrid poplar, box elder, ash, cottonwood, etc. I would add cedars 100%!!!
State dnr nurseries always best choice. Then wholesale nursery’s around country.
Would the cedars require full sun or would they get going with shade?

I’ll check with nursery(Ohio)

Thoughts on American plum?

Cedars transplant really well. If time is an issue, Kansas Forest Service sells “potted” ERC. The pot is a 2” plug. I have a 2” auger for my drill and can plant one in seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can pull young Cedars out of the ground and replant...save yourself $
My issue is there’s no cedars anywhere close to my farm, that’s part of the reason I’m interested in adding them. With tsi limits I’d like to get them planted in pockets that topography would support bedding and receives some sun.

Double checked my apples that are in the ground and they are all CAr resistant…

Curious what’s best planting method for a barefoot cedar?

Cedars, plum, spruce, oaks that’s keep their leaves, chokecherry ?

All bedding trees!

*Shingle oak if you can find them and if they grow in your zone !

Mild shade they do fine. Plum is a great one!!!!! Ninebark & bunch of other shrubs be great.
In regards to American Plum, I found seedlings for 2.50$. Looking to do a bulk order. For those of you that have planted how do you do so? How do you protect? Tubes? Cages? Trying to do this process obviously as cheap but effective as possible.. thanks!!

In regards to American Plum, I found seedlings for 2.50$. Looking to do a bulk order. For those of you that have planted how do you do so? How do you protect? Tubes? Cages? Trying to do this process obviously as cheap but effective as possible.. thanks!!
Check with state of iowa and Missouri. They have em cheap!!! Plum can sometimes get by without protection. Million ways to do it though depending on how many and size u doing.

Thanks Skip, got 25 wild plum, 25 Norway, 25 chokeberry in the cart. Have to keep an eye on my local SW district sale next year and save few bucks!7

This is the best way in my opinion. Put a 3 foot tube on the plum seedling or plug . Once it gets above the tube, cage it . You can cut the tube back if necessary after it’s caged .

This scenario is expensive and not practical if you plant a bunch of seedlings!

Did the order from Iowa and, 25 Norway spruce, 25 plum, and 25 ninebark.

Does Norway spruce or ninebark require cages?

Will be ordering 25 red cedar shortly.

In hills how would you set up plantings in relation to bedding? I’m looking to hinge and drop maples in specific locations along military crests.

My issue is there’s no cedars anywhere close to my farm, that’s part of the reason I’m interested in adding them. With tsi limits I’d like to get them planted in pockets that topography would support bedding and receives some sun.

Double checked my apples that are in the ground and they are all CAr resistant…

This is the farmer coming out in me but if you don’t have cedars in your area already I’d think twice for your neighbors sake! I’m not sure if everyone on here will agree but cedars can cause a lot of people a lot of work down the road by spreading by seeds. Surely something native to your area that could be planted and would meet your goals. And IMO cedars rarely flourish enough to be much benefit if the canopy is established outside of clear cutting pretty much.

Did the order from Iowa and, 25 Norway spruce, 25 plum, and 25 ninebark.

Does Norway spruce or ninebark require cages?

Will be ordering 25 red cedar shortly.

In hills how would you set up plantings in relation to bedding? I’m looking to hinge and drop maples in specific locations along military crests.
I would think Norway Spruce should have a cage—if you have a lot of deer ! Not sure on ninebark as I’ve never planted it .

Top Bottom