Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alcohol Enforcement Weekend

blake

Life Member
NEWS!

From the Iowa DNR:

Alcohol Target of Boating Enforcement Weekend

June 16, 2009

DES MOINES - Iowa is one of 48 states and territories participating in a weekend long boating under the influence detection and enforcement during June 26 - 28. Operation Dry Water is aimed at reducing the number of alcohol related accidents and fatalities and to foster a stronger and more visible deterrent to alcohol use on the water.

"Curbing the number of alcohol related accidents and fatalities is a key to achieving safer and more enjoyable recreation boating," said Susan Stocker, recreation boating safety coordinator for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

In 2008, Iowa statistics show that 25 percent of boating incidents involved alcohol. There were no boating fatalities in 2008. Iowa continues to rank as one of the top three safest states for recreational boating, based on the U.S. Coast Guard fatality ratio.

Currently, enforcement officers in Polk, Marion and Scott counties are participating in the event.

The National Association of State Boating Law Administrators is coordinating this national event. For a complete list of participating state agencies, go to www.operationdrywater.org.

Alcohol doesn't belong in any vehicles including boats!!!

There is plently of time to tip a few back at the end of the day, no need to drink on the water or in the woods.

I have to admit I used to think what's the big deal about having a cold one in a boat while fishing. But I have changed my mind. There are so many fast powerful boats these days, and so many things that can go wrong. There are more boats on the water than ever, and you just can't trust people to be responsible when it comes to alcohol. I mean you just can't trust the majority of people to be responsible. Period.

I have seen families torn apart and innocent people killed because of drinking in a boat.

It's kind of a shame but I am now a proponent of no alcohol in boats at all.

Top Bottom