Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Alfalfa on shares

huntdoc

Landowner where I hunt and I were discussing putting in alfalfa. Deal is he provides dirt and horsepower, I provide for cost, at least part, of seed and get to influence location, within reason. He keeps the hay. Question is how much will seed cost per acre? Any pitfalls or problems to consider?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Landowner where I hunt and I were discussing putting in alfalfa. Deal is he provides dirt and horsepower, I provide for cost, at least part, of seed and get to influence location, within reason. He keeps the hay. Question is how much will seed cost per acre? Any pitfalls or problems to consider? </div></div>

Seed should run somewhere between $60-100+ per acre depending on quality of alflafa seed. Normally "shares" would be between a landowner and farmer/operater who would split the costs of planting and havesting the alfalfa and also split the income.

Check seed costs at Welters Alfalfa seed

In your case I'd say your ending up with a pretty sweet deal there Doc! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Buy the seed and happy hunting!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Welter seed sells 50lb bags of alfalfa seed for around $170 (depending on variety). I saw a website that said to plant alfalfa at 10lbs/acre.

I have watched a neighbor manage alfalfa for maximal yield. He likes to go in and spread phosphorous and potassium (maybe a little nitrogen) after each cutting. Will the landowner want to do this and who will be responsible for the cost? Since he's keeping the hay, I'd look to have him pay for maintenance (or cost share it). Otherwise, I think he's getting a great deal.

How many years will this seeding be managed? Alfalfa fields can get "tired" with age and need rotated out. Do you want to try to maintain it (financially) 3+ years? How long does the landowner want to hay it?

When will the last cutting of the season take place? If it is cut too late in the fall, you won't get much regrowth before winter. The farmer probably isn't going to try to cut too late, as that stresses the crowns and opens the door for winter kill. Still, there should probably be some talk on the date of last cut.

Don't forget about spraying for bugs. Probably have to spray after 1st and 2nd cutting. If you don't spray, bugs can kill a stand in a year.

We sell 5-7 year alfalfa for 178.00 a bag, or 3 year alfalfa for 110.00 a bag. Recommended rates for both are 12lbs-15lbs an acre. Also, like turkeyriver said, don't forget to spray for leafhoppers.

Do you guys feel that adding alfalfa in place of corn/soybeans would enhance the turkey production/numbers on a piece of land? I don't have much experience with planting but my budy is considering replacing 6 acres his bean crop for alfalfa to enhance turkey numbers on his place. Is he wasting his time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntyak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you guys feel that adding alfalfa in place of corn/soybeans would enhance the turkey production/numbers on a piece of land? I don't have much experience with planting but my budy is considering replacing 6 acres his bean crop for alfalfa to enhance turkey numbers on his place. Is he wasting his time? </div></div>

I'm not sure that alfalfa would have any real impact on turkeys one way or the other? It certainly will have a positive impact on deer as they will feed in it long after the other crops are gone and before they are up.

Pheasants love to nest in alfalfa but care must be taken not to mow during the nesting season and most farmers need to get a first cutting off early, so it can be a death sentence for nesting birds.

I'm sure that turkeys would use alfalfa to some extent but generally clover is shorter and better suited for strutting areas or for hens to take feeding poults.

Hen turkeys need to see danger while keeping the poults protected with over head cover. Clover blossoms are ideal for attracting insects which provides protein for chicks and poults.

Alfalfa is thicker and taller although it could still work if left unmowed into mid June...that's unlikely in most cases.

Most of the management, spraying, fertilizer, etc is going to be up to landowner although I am not opposed to helping out. I saw first hand this year how the new alfalfa next door sucked tons of deer that direction. He has allowed me to do a few small clover plots on clearings in wooded land but with $5 corn I don't think I will get a much better shot at a highly productive food plot than this. I think the risk to reward is good to since I will be using his expertise in planning and planting!!!!

Top Bottom