Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Almost

I

IAbowhunter18

Well i was in the Double Bull at about 3 pm yesterday afternoon, and at about 3:30 5 does and 7 fawns come down the trail. I just sat there and watched them, they were feeding about 20 yards away from me. All of the sudden they all look up the hill and there was about a 120" 8 pt. standing there im like oh great. He walked down to 15 yards and I didn't shoot. I cant burn up the buck tag on the second day of the season, unless its a real biggun. I had fun anyways saw lots of deer. I just cant shoot a doe with fawns. Does anyone else have that problem? You know a doe comes in with a cuple of fawns and she is a big doe but you just cant do that with the little ones there. lol Im a big baby i guess. I dont know why though.

The woods would have had a few orphans in it if I were in the tree but that is just me I guess. Glad you had a good hunt.

Doesn't bother me one bit to shoot a doe that has fawns with her. They will make it through on there own. They are old enough by this time. Put the hurt on some of those does.

It was also the first time that i ever hunted deer out of my double bull Matrix. All i can say is OH MY GOD. If you brush it in really well which only took me 20 minutes, the deer have no clue. I had one of the fawns like 5 FEET away from me. Next time i hunt out of it I will have to bring the video camera and figure out how to post a movie on here because it is just awesome.

Oh and ya i will put a hurtin on the does. (When the fawns leave
frown.gif
)

After you crush the doe, the fawns typically wander around like they don't know whats up. Thats when you select the doe fawns, line up your 20 yard pin on the faded spot near the heart and let er fly. Nothing better than making it a family affair! This method works especially well with those hunters that are tender hearted. Nothing worse than a fawn standing at 40 yards watching you gut mommy.

Fawns ended my wifes bowhunting career. Her first bow deer was a doe with twins. After arrowing the doe, she came to get me for the tracking (and to give the doe time to lay down). When we trailed up the doe, the fawns were standing over her. Then, when field dressing, she saw that the doe was lactating. I tried to explain that the fawns would have been chased off when she came into estrous, but it was more than my wife could take, she hasn't bow hunted since and that was somewhere around 1990. She almost got back into two years ago when she spotted a huge buck hanging around her Mom's property. If she does get back into bowhunting, it will most likely be buck only.

I guess that leaves the dirty work of hunting does to me
grin.gif

We refer to taking a doe with fawns as "weaning"
grin.gif
Seriously, as noted above, they'll be fine and would be weaned shortly by the doe at any rate.

Top Bottom