Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another bow question

W

whiskeybent & hellbound

Do you really think that 4 inches of axle to axle height on a bow makes a difference in the woods? I'm trying to decide whether to get a Hoyt razortec or ultratec, although i'll probably wait to see what mathews comes out with. This next season is going to be my first hunting season but since I started shooting I can't get enough of target shooting. I know they say that if you spend a lot of time on the targets you should go with the ultratec but I love the short bow my uncle is letting me use. (High Country)

Wisky,

I think that the shorter bows are more hunter friendly. I myself use a short bow it is a mathews legacy. And if you havn't shot one you shouldn't rule it out. unbelievably very quiet and smooth.

Oh by the way what does your name mean? Hank jr. lover or does it mean your the life of the party
beerchug.gif

To answer your question: Both, depending on the circumstance.

I guess for me my priority is the hunting. I love to target shoot and shoot the video but my priority is hunting. That said, I want what is good for me in the woods. As far as the short axle to axle goes that is a tuff call. Some people are ok with it and some people fight it. I shoot an SQ2, it has a 31 inch axle to axle measurement but the 8 inch brace height makes it shoot like a 36 inch bow. I have never been able to shoot consistently at forty five yards before I got my SQ2 but know I can target shoot at forty five yards and consistently hit a six inch group. That doesn't mean I would try it out of the stand but it sure is fun when we shoot targets. Not all bows are made equal. It is not just the brace height or the Axle to Axle length but a combination of the two. You can buy a 38 inch bow with a 5 inch brace height and have problems because of the short brace height. Try some different bows out and see what works for you.

"1000", Wait and see what Mathews does before you buy anything. I'm betting on a shorter version of the Legacy. Kind of a Legacy/SQ2 blend. Call it an "SL32" or something like that. If they do come out with it and it shoots as quiet as the Legacy and is as forgiving as the SQ2, it will be "The Bow" to own.
smokin.gif

The longer bows are more forgiving but the shorter bows are a bit more manueverable in the treestand. Personally I won't go shorter than 35". WB&HB, have you thought about a Cybertec or a Bowtech Patriot? Sweet bows. Don't let the Mathews marketing juggernaut blind you, unless of course you like the Mathews better. Or something.

Yeah I am waiting but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I already called Mathews and preorderd the 2003 catalog. I feel like a little kid in a candy store; I love looking and comparing bows knowing that I'm going to get one.

Top Bottom