Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

another question.

beararchery

Alright just ANOTHER question, but recently while looking for my dog I noticed a doe with all 4 legs still on the carcus and the meat gone. Whenever we shoot does we keep the leg that is tagged. I'm curious on if you can take the tag off after your done processing it, and what do you do with the tag afterwards?

Transportation tag always stays with the meat as your verification that the deer was taken legally. So to answer your question yes. Where the meat goes the tag goes

The regs say the deer has to be tagged until processed. I consider it processed once it is boned out. We pitch the doe tags in the trash when we are butchering, buck tags we leave on the antlers.

I have neighbors that are out to get me, so I keep all my tags on the foot of the doe, and keep those in a big bucket. For the one and only buck Ive ever shot. The tag is still on the rack hanging on the wall! Its a european hillbilly mount so nothing fancy!

I always keep the buck tags, just in case, but after capeing, I put it in a ziplock bag and keep it with the rack. The sticky tag will discolor the beam and pull staining off when removed, leaving an annoying tag mark.

The regs say the deer has to be tagged until processed. I consider it processed once it is boned out. We pitch the doe tags in the trash when we are butchering, buck tags we leave on the antlers.

Unless you are transporting the meat out of state. I brought my boned out meat back with me and dropped it off at my local processor. He asked me where the tag was and I realized I messed up. Luckily I've taken them a bunch of business the last few years and they trusted me. I suggest keeping a tag with the meat if you are going to be transporting unpackaged meat out of state (mostly for the other NRs on here).

Unless you are transporting the meat out of state. I brought my boned out meat back with me and dropped it off at my local processor. He asked me where the tag was and I realized I messed up. Luckily I've taken them a bunch of business the last few years and they trusted me. I suggest keeping a tag with the meat if you are going to be transporting unpackaged meat out of state (mostly for the other NRs on here).

Sure.... I see how it is now. You come up here and shoot our deer and take that great tasting meat back to Zona with you, but us Iowa folks don't get any of your benefits. How bout a golf trip in February? How bout some totties next to a pool with a bunch of spring breakers? Rattlesnake roundup?, Coues deer hunt? Send us some sand in a jar? Cmon, I'm reachin here! Throw us a bone. Don't be sharin any of that meat with your buddies down there, we'll have all kinds of you snowbirds up here next year! :D :drink2: No courtesy I tell ya! Must be an ISU fan :rolleyes:

Sure.... I see how it is now. You come up here and shoot our deer and take that great tasting meat back to Zona with you, but us Iowa folks don't get any of your benefits. How bout a golf trip in February? How bout some totties next to a pool with a bunch of spring breakers? Rattlesnake roundup?, Coues deer hunt? Send us some sand in a jar? Cmon, I'm reachin here! Throw us a bone. Don't be sharin any of that meat with your buddies down there, we'll have all kinds of you snowbirds up here next year! :D :drink2: No courtesy I tell ya! Must be an ISU fan :rolleyes:

I don't golf, but I'll show you the golf courses. I'll point and laugh as you scream at the sight of your first rattlesnake and then chase you around the golf course with it (cause that's how us Clones roll!) :D. Send me your address and I'll send you a jar of sand that might even have a scorpion and some catcut pads in it for the full effect! I've posted countless times about taking almost anyone (I'm slightly picky) on a Coues deer hunt (I'm going after one 18-21 Dec). I'm going on a javelina/desert mule deer archery hunt in January (always welcome). We can grill some IA deer burger on the hunts! :drink2:

After living in AZ for over a decade now, I'm still trying to figure out why we have a "snowbird season" if we can't hunt them? I tell ya, I see more Iowa plates with that ugly little bird-head sticker driving like lunatics every winter when we make it down to the valley! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom