Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another switchgrass question

StucknAz

My family 12 acre hayfield has long been late summer harvested for the neighbors cattle. Is there any benefits I could provide to cattle with switch if I were to do a spring cutting? My current plan was to plant app 3 acres of RC BR but I have a lot more ground and if there’s a livestock benefit I could sell that idea to family and put in much more in these vacant fields, could add a whole other food plot for separate winds if this worked. So question is, are there selling points to local farmer for switch.

Yes. I will get you the data from the people that have the scientific data. That's out of my area of knowledge. Ill get the info. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Here is some initial information from some university studies. I'm trying to get my hands on some more detailed info if possible.

another article: https://www.agproud.com/articles/32396-two-producers-switched-to-switchgrass-and-thrived

I would say no if you are looking for feed value and tonnage. Natives grow very little until temps increase late June through August. I have saw some decent growth with a July 15th mow for hay in Missouri which is the earliest you can cut CRP. I’d guess a July 1st ish cut would maximize feed value and tonnage for feed while still getting good regrowth if not CRP for deer cover which I’m guessing is what you are after?

Lots of good references out there for management as a forage, livestock feed:

Top Bottom