Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Another wait it out and see.

IowaBow

Well had a nice buck that I had seen two weeks ago come back by me this morning.

Nothing huge but bigger than anything I've ever taken with a bow so I wanted him. He came in the way I expected but as he came into range he changed course and did a big arch out away from my stand, almost like he knew I was there.

Either that or it was just his fancy for the morning as coming by me or going the way he went, either way took him downwind of where the does were bedding.

After he got by me and about 60 yds away I let out some doe estrus bleats, (the primo can call) he ignored them completely. Then hit the true talker with a couple of grunts and he came in on as string, so I was starting to think he didn't have the stand figured out. Lost him in some oak sapplings, then he was right under me walking by.

Went out a ways and I got drawn back, let out a bleat with my mouth and he stopped. Broadside slightly quartering away at about 17 yds...Had a good site picture and let the arrow go, had to shoot between two sapplings but it wasn't that tight.

Arrow hit, and only about half the shaft penetrated (29" arrow) the deer wheeled went down along the creek and then came back up a ridge and appeared to be stumbling coming up the ridge. Went back towards the doe bedding area and I lost sight of him.

The hit was on the deer's left side couple inches back from the crease of the front leg and right about where I would figure the top of the lungs were at, the stand is high so the shot should be angling down good.

Snuck out VERY quietly and called for help, we've decided to let him sit for two hours then we're going after him.

With the slightly quartering away shot and my shot placement, I'm wondering about the penetration, I'm assuming if I had hit the off leg that that could bounce the arrow back some, other than that I'm at a loss for the penetration. The buck left with the arrow in him dangling and i've yet to do any looking, but I can't stand the lack of penetration there other than the offside leg, any other guesses?

The shot seems most definately fatal to me, and I really wouldn't worry much about it other than the fact that two years ago I had a similar hit and the deer was lost. That time however we did track immediately.

Any other guesses about the penetration issue? I know it's just guesses as I'm a firm believer that unless you recover the deer you never really know for sure where you hit it, I know i'm high in the front chest going in, but other than that it seems to change back and forth every time i replay it in my mind.

Shooting a Q2 at 72lbs, 28"draw, 28.5" xx75 2314s with a Snyper broadhead.

Well helps a little just to put the story out here, i'll be getting ready here soon to go look with help and i'll let yall know the outcome.

Shot was at 7:20 this morning, buck was cruising through apparently on his way to a doe bedding area about 80 yds off this stand.

Jason

Of course it's hard to tell for sure from someone else's description, there is much interpretation to "slight" quartering and "high" treestand, but as long as your arrow entered behind the shoulder and not in the shoulder, your shot sounds okay to me. The way you described it you should have gotten lungs, I would think.

I would agree with your take on the lack of penetration. The snyper probably hit the offside shoulder bone and bounced back. That is the one consistent complaint I've heard about the snyper head. Good news is that the damage should have been done before it got to that bone. The only problem I see is that with a high entrance wound and no exit, he may not leave much blood. I know its hard to wait, but I would definitely err to the side of waiting too long to go look for him, just in case you didn't get both lungs. As I'm sure you know, you don't want to bump him, especially with the high entry/no exit situation.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to your update.

IowaBow, Congratulations on your buck this morning. I would agree with rhino to wait as long as you can stand it. The buck i shot last night was quartering toward me at 15 yards. I hit perfect behind the shoulder blade with the arrow going all the way through. I waited 15 minutes gathered my stuff and came back out 2 hours later. He was dead at 80 yards from were i shot him. I hit a lung and the liver. Let's see the pitures after you find him. Again congratulations.

Well the shot was a little high but seeing as how I was up a bit in the tree, and the deer was on ground a good ten feet lower than the base of my tree it's bout perfect for the angle.

The deer was angling away what I would call slightly so I was using the off leg as a reference to shoot for. The stand I was in is 18 feet off the ground, plus the different elevation that the buck was on adds about another ten feet.

I'm incredible disappointed in the penetration, upon autopsy the arrow entered between two ribs, went through the near lung, sliced a major artery above the heart and stopped. This should have blown through and out the other side, I have no idea why it didn't.

I've used this same combination before and blown through deer, I can't think of anything to explain why it didn't this time....???

If I can do this right I'll post a picture here so you can see the entrance wound. I took this pic on the dig camera just to show yall, the good pics will be developed in a few days and I'll post a nicer one then.

Jason

buck2002.jpg

I too didn't have great pen. on my buck.I'm shooting 51lbs. with carbon and muzzy's.I hit rib on entry and had a rough time pulling the head out of the rib on the way out.I hit a little farward but lower ,he went 60 yards.and slamed.When I opened him up the carbon had broke and every step it was pokeing his lunge.You got a nice buck,Congats from the deerman.You don't need the arrow to go all the way though to kill them fast.

Hit wasn't as high as i thought, actually looks a little high but real good to me.

He was down within about 150 yds...

I'll post more later tonight

Jason

Top Bottom